Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Birthday Flashbacks

Today is the twins 3rd birthday. 3 years ago today I was told that my twins only chance for survival was to be born, in spite of the fact I was only 27 weeks pregnant. I will never forget that feeling. At this exact time of writing the girls were being stablised in the NICU and I was up on the ward recovering from my c-section and trying to comprehend the fact that my tiny babies had been born so prematurely.

From talking to other mums of prems or babies who were in the NICU after birth, I have realised it is 'normal' to have flashbacks at birthday time. My flashbacks don't usually revolve around their birth as that went relatively smoothly, mine usually focus on stressful events (ie near death moments) in the nursery. This year I haven't had too many flashbacks, but I do still think about their time in the nursery. I can't believe 3 years have gone by - it seems much more recent. There are some moments from that time that will be with me forever.

For those of you who weren't there at the beginning, here are some flashback photos for you...
Little A at birth...all 570gm of her:















Big A at birth...all 820gm of her:
















At 9 weeks old (still 3 1/2 weeks off their due date - I think Big A was around 2kg and Little A was 1kg).














Both of them on their first birthday:

















And now as big 3 year olds...(I know Little A has her eyes shut but it is a great shot of her I thought I'd put it in anyway)




















1 comment:

Sarah said...

They sure are miracles!