Monday, April 27, 2009

Preschool Days

Today was Big A's first day of preschool. She LOVED it. Didn't give me a second look - just said "Bye Mum" and took off playing. I can't believe my little ex-27 weeker who weighed just 820gm at birth is now a big girl ready for preschool. She had a great time and is looking forward to going back next week (always a relief).



















After dropping her off we came home as we had a day with NO appointments. I felt like I had so much time. I did craft with E, tidied and vacummed the house, hung out a load of washing, unpacked the dishwasher...and I wasn't rushed at all. Just pottered about and got it all done. Is this why my friends are all less stressed than me? Is this the key - actually having time to do things without rushing madly. It was all so orderly.

















It felt a bit strange to go to preschool this morning and meet Big A's class and the other parents. This is the same class Little A will go into next year. I often feel a little conspicuous when I have Little A with me, I sometimes feel like "that mother" that everyone else looks at but doesn't want to be. But I have to confess that this morning I committed the cardinal special-needs-mummy sin. I was one of the mummies on the other side doing the judging. I saw another mother dealing with a very difficult child and I thought to myself -

I could never cope with that!

I can't believe after everything we've been through I can still think that about another child. I hate it when people think or say that about us. It shows that they are not seeing A for who she is and what she can do - they are only seeing the difficulties. And yet I still thought that about this little boy.

To that other mother - I am sorry. Hopefully I can get to know you while our children are in preschool together - and hopefully I can get to see your little boy for who he is, not for his behaviour.

5 comments:

n0thingbuteverything said...

Yay to Big A for her great day at pre-school and to you for your day of 'order'. I hope it's a good reminder of things to come when school eventually starts for all ;-).

And you make a really good point about judging others. I wonder if I do the same sometimes...interesting perspective (as always!).

Ally said...

Wow! I'm so glad big A loved her time at pre-school. Must be such a relief!

Sarah said...

Wow what a special day! So happy to hear she love it!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Alison, I am really glad that Big A enjoyed her first day at Preschool and you had some "time " to do normal everyday chores in a "normal" fashion! I think it's completely "normal" to have those little first thoughts about kids and their behaviour and that's all it is, a little thought then you get on with seeing the child for who they are.
It is a surreal experience doign something as a "normal" mum rather than with the SN hat on.....I always feel like a fake! lol

ferfischer said...

Hi Alison!

Drop me an email and I'll tell you about the treatment there! colofisch at yahoo dot com

I know exactly what it feels like to be "that" mother. I find myself doing the same things sometimes. It's hard!