Friday, May 29, 2009

3 Year Assessments

Today we took a trip down memory lane and went back to the place where it all started...RPA's NICU. We went for the girls 3 year assessments. I can remember when we were in the nursery I would see other parents coming in for their follow up appointments and wish we could just fast-forward to that point in time.

Well, it has definitely felt like fast forward over the last 3 years, and now I can't believe it is time for my tiny babies to have their big 3 year old assessments. I don't have the final reports yet, but here are the basics on how they went...

Big A did extremely well on her developmental assessment. She scored well within the normal range in all areas - gross motor, fine motor, reasoning, speech etc. They were really happy with her progress (as are we) and it looks like there is nothing that needs following up (no surprises there).

Little A actually gave the assessors a pleasant surprise with her level of ability. I guess after the last 2 assessments they had pretty low expectations, but they were very happy to see her crawling and hear her starting to talk. They are going to assess her score against other children with a vision impairment, so it will be interesting to see where she falls on that scale. Even though she has had lots of assessments done, she has never really had her level of developmental delay assessed, so it will be interesting to see how she fares. I will post the girls 'official' results when I get them.

While we were there we took the opportunity to drop in and visit some of the nurses who helped take care of the girls. There were a few people we recognised - and they all definitely remembered us! We even bumped into the girls neonatologist which was lovely. He always reminds me of how much he was freaking out (his actual words were 'I still have nightmares about') that day when Big A lost all circulation to one of her legs. At the time I was worried but too overwhelmed by the whole situation to realise how bad it was. Now it makes me feel sick to think that Big A, my walking, talking miracle, could have lost one or both of her legs, rather than just the tip of her toe.

Surprisingly it doesn't give me cold chills to visit the NICU (mind you we didn't actually get up close to any babies or hear any of those horrible alarms sounding...that would have definitely done it). Even though it was at times incredibly traumatic to be there, I always felt like it was a safe place, THE safest place for the girls to be, so I quite like going back to visit. Our next visit isn't until 2011 when the girls will have their 5 year old assessments.

No comments: