Thursday, June 18, 2009

A lovely story

Tonight a friend of mine told me a story I found really touching.

She told me about her ex-highschool-boyfriend, and how EVERY week at church, instead of sitting up the back with all his friends, he would choose to go and sit in the middle of the church next to the boy (same age) with down syndrome. And how, 15 years later, they all still go to that same church, and this man (and his whole family now) STILL sit with this man with down syndrome. Every week.

What a beautiful thing to do, and what a beautiful person to be able to see someone for who they are and not for their disabilities. This is something that breaks my heart for little Ashlea* - knowing that people will always struggle to see past her disabilities and see who she really is. Even her therapists at times struggle to see past what they are treating. Some see spasticity, others see kidney problems, still others see developmental delays. It is a rare person who sees past all this and really SEES Ashlea, really 'gets' her.

I don't know either of the people in this story from a bar of soap, but as a SN mum I found it really lovely. I just hope and pray that some equally kind souls will come into Ashlea's life as she is growing up.

* yes, I am using her real name. It is a PITA to keep using code names, especially when the paranoid android my husband (who is the one that worries about identity theft etc) DOESN'T EVEN READ MY BLOG! So I figure what he doesn't know...

7 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Alison, M is missing out!!!!
What a beautiful story, instills hope.
I know exactly what you mean about seeing the label too, drives me insane. The whole system is pretty wrong really!

n0thingbuteverything said...

Beautiful story. And yep. Labels suck. I especially especially hate when anyone refers to anything to do with BC by using the pronoun 'They' - as though all people with disabilities are somehow just a group category and nothing more.

archersmum said...

Alison, I'm sorry! I thought I was 'following' you but I haven't been! Beautiful story! Looking fwd to keeping up! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Do you mean PITA, as in the bread?? Or is it a trendy online acronym I'm not aware of...? Or maybe you mean pity??

Sorry, they were just the thoughts that ran through my head. Hilarious. And I agree, it is a rare person who sees (and puts) the child first, ahead of their disability.

Alison said...

No - not the bread...pita = pain in the arse!

starofamp said...

I love hearing stories like this! Believe me when I say that there are tonnes of wonderful people out there that do just see the person not the disability. But sometimes I think I just naturally drift towards those people and exclude from my life the people who just see disabilities. If that makes sense!

Anonymous said...

This is M here - I have been reading your blog!