Monday, July 6, 2009

Aaahhh....parenting. Don't you love it?

Miss Audrey had preschool today - no dramas, she loves preschool. So far I have been keeping a low profile with her class. I am avoiding being seen as 'the special needs mum'. I am leaving that for next year when Ashlea joins the class. With Emma's class last year I stood out like a sore thumb and got lots of sympathetic looks and "I don't know how you do it"s. So this year I have just gone for being inconspicuous, which up until this point I have really quite enjoyed.

Well, Miss Ashlea had other ideas about my remaining inconspicuous!!!

Today on the way to preschool pick-up we had a bit of a situation. A poo situation. Lesson number 1 - ALWAYS check your child's nappy before leaving for preschool pick up. Even if you can't smell anything. I of course did not do this today because I was still distracted by my IKEA decluttering frenzy. We were running a little late for preschool pick-up so I just grabbed the kids and ran. Hmmm...I even ignored Ashlea when she said "poo". Lesson number 2 - never ignore it when your child actually tells you they've done something in their nappy!

So upon arriving at preschool I picked her up and realized that 'it' was all leaking out the back of her nappy. And when I picked her up 'it' got on me...eeewww. What to do? My only course of action was to plonk her on the grass and change her right then and there. How many kids with sensory issues love the feeling of grass??? None that I know of, and Ashlea is definitely NOT one of them. So she starts SCREAMING while lying on the grass, I am trying to change her, 'it' is getting everywhere and I realise I have NO WIPES with me (lesson number 3 - ALWAYS refill the wipes - a huge thank you to whichever parent it was that gave me their wipes).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we were parked directly out the front of preschool, and it was prime pick-up time...so pretty much every.other.parent in the whole class came past while this was going on. So much for avoiding those sympathetic looks! Emma was very keen to help me so she ran into preschool screaming at the top of her lungs "HELP, Ashlea's nappy is leaking and its dripping on the ground!" - just in case there was someone who had missed out on seeing the drama unfold. Anyway, I managed to get Ashlea sort of cleaned up and changed her clothes (yes I did dress my SN child in the middle of the street...what a sight that was for the bystanders, especially as the clothes in the nappy bag are all too small now so I had to wrestle her into them), and I got most of 'it' cleaned out of the carseat. We high-tailed it out of there straight home to the bath.

So much for me trying to maintain a dignified, under the radar pose at preschool this year. My cover has been blown! Not only am I the special needs mum, they have also all discovered that if something embarrassing or undignified is going to happen, I am the one it will happen to!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

Don't you love it? There will always be something to embarass the heck out of you. Always.

Sarah said...

This may sound bad, but you made me smile with this well written recount!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Thanks for making me smile too! and don't worry about standing out at all, happens to everyone at some stage! :)

Belinda said...

Oh Alison! I'm smiling too. Sorry!

The Trousdell Five said...

Haaaa! Thanks for sharing; we've all been there!!