Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Audrey didn't quite listen to the plan...

OK, so maybe I need to adopt an "I'm going to Emergency at every given opportunity" policy and maybe I'll never end up there, because my self-imposed exile has gone down in flames!

Miss Audrey didn't stick to the asthma plan we were given (ie meds every 3 hours). Last night she had her ventolin at 5pm and at 5:30 was wheezing, coughing, couldn't talk etc, and seeing as this asthma caper is all new and I really have no idea what I am doing I called the ED and was told to bring her in. So...anther night in the ED. The same treatment as the night before, but this time she is now able to comfortably make it to 3 hours between treatments. Tomorrow we start weaning to 4th hourly, then 6th hourly etc. I feel like I have more of a handle on the asthma plan now. Actually, there are 2 plans - the weaning after a hospital admission plan, and the regular plan. At present we are on the weaning plan and then we will move on to the regular plan. I think the goal of the regular plan is to avoid ending up in hospital - sounds good to me, however my real plan is to have no more of these attacks in the future at all. Audrey is feeling a lot better now and is playing really nicely with Emma this afternoon - it is obvious they missed each other.

After we got discharged this morning, we walked around to the Renal Treatment Centre where M met me with Emma and Ashlea for Ashlea's 3 monthly kidney review. The good news is that Ashlea's kidney function is quite stable, the bad news is that our lovely nephrologist is retiring next year. Not happy about that. We have known her since Ashlea was in the NICU so it will be hard to change to another doctor (although I already know which of the other doctors in the team that I do and don't want). Otherwise Ashlea is doing well - her bloods were stable and have been for 6 months, so we continue on as is and hope for more of the same. Even her liver function was close to normal today and that almost never happens. The only thing is that her growth has slowed right down (actually she is going sideways on the chart rather than up) so we are increasing her feeds. We are hoping we can get her growing again without having to use growth hormone just yet (GH is inevitable in the future, but seeing as it is a daily injection we are trying to put it off until absolutely necessary). The only other thing we discussed was the dreaded swine flu. If Ashlea gets any symptoms of the flu at all we have to contact the renal team so she can get anti-viral treatment.

So that's the medical scoop. There is nothing else to report on as that is all we have done the last few days. Hopefully there will be no more reports from Emergency, but after being surrounded by all the 'flus and spews there last night I fear it will only be a matter of time...

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Yuck, can i just say, i'm so glad I have a pulse oximeter for Jax. Because I need one with my asthma kids too. or I would be in the ER all the time not knowing if their oxygen was ok.