Sunday, July 26, 2009

Holidays are over

Today was the last day of the school holidays - the kids spent the day in their jammies playing Wii. We are all getting quite good at it now - particularly Emma - she has unlocked the most new games. I am temporarily ahead of M in the soccer ratings which is definitely something to brag about (although I know it won't last!). For all our practice over the last 2 weeks my Wii age has only come down from 56 to 54 - surely after all our devotion it could be a little more generous than that!

So tomorrow is back to preschool and our regular routine. It seems like it will be a pretty quiet term as Ashlea doesn't have much therapy at the moment due to waiting lists. We didn't even get into hydrotherapy this term which is quite disappointing as Ashlea LOVES her hydro. Which brings me to a dilemma that I need advice on.

Seeing as Ashlea loves swimming I thought I could take her myself. The swim school that Emma and Audrey attend only has swimming lessons - no 'free' swimming, but they do have baby swim classes. I am toying with the idea of seeing if I can take Ashlea to one of those classes. She wouldn't be able to do the age appropriate class, and I can't afford individual lessons ($50 each), so I was thinking of doing a 'mums and bubs' swimming class with her. I just don't know if I could deal with all the questions and comments that would open me up to.

The reason I am considering this crazy plan is that we already go to that swim school so I am familiar with the layout of the pool and change area, and also I know that the pool is clean (they check their water quality every 30 minutes) and warm - Ashlea (and I) would NOT cope with cold or even cool water.

So they are the pros for going to regular swimming classes. The question is....Do I have the balls (figuratively speaking of course) to take her to a class with developmentally normal children and open myself up to the opportunity for all those mums' questions / stares / comments etc?

So, is this a crazy idea?

My other options are:

a) just take her swimming in a regular pool - BUT I don't think the water would be warm enough or clean enough (you all know what a germ phobe I am)

b) see if the Spastic Centre has any places in their hydrotherapy class - BUT that may involve driving at least 40 minutes to get there which would make my day VERY busy. But would it be worth it to avoid the discomfort of being obviously the odd one out at regular swimming???

Is this a crazy plan or should other people just suck it up and accept the disabled people in their midst???

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Of course I think other people should suck it up. I bet it will be a small class and after the first day everyone will know you and they won't even notice. I would do it.

n0thingbuteverything said...

That's a tricky problem, but it sounds like there's LOTS of good reasons to try the class and see if it works. Most swim schools allow you a 'trial' lesson. Why not see if they'll do that for you, go along and see how it goes? You might both love it and you might very well find that the other mums and kids are actually very accepting and Ashlea might make some new friends! And if you both hate it, at least you'll know you gave it a try and it wasn't the right solution. xo

Belinda said...

I reckon go for it! More pros than cons. xx.

ferfischer said...

I think it may be worth trying the "regular" swim classes. Talk to the people there and see what they say. Other people will have to suck it up - I know we'll do this too, because eventually we'll go to the pool with all the kids and I'll want Cici to do stuff too in the same place! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

The other thing you can/should do is put her on the waitlist for your local Rainbow Club = virtually free swim lessons for kids with disabilities.

See: www.rainbowclubaust.com.au to find your local club. The wait can be long (18 months for Molly), but it is well worth it. We pay only a small amount each term for 1-on-1 tution with fabulous, caring instructors.

Alison said...

Thanks for all your comments - especially Susan - I will definitely look into the Rainbow Club!