Friday, July 3, 2009

My baby is growing up!

Most of the updates on this blog focus on Ashlea, but today I thought I'd spend a bit of time on Audrey. She is officially the baby of the family (being a whole minute younger than Ashlea) and she is growing up!

This week she got her 'big girl bed'. She was very excited. So was I. After having her wake up the entire household at 4am yelling "I need to do a wee!!!" from her cot several times last week, I decided it was time to make the move. Here is a pic of the bed. She didn't really want it pink and girly, but I couldn't find anything with penguins on it (her first choice) and the Diego stuff was too dark and boyish...so she got pink and girly.















I haven't put Ashlea's bed together yet, we are still recovering from the swearing festival fun of assembling Audrey's bed. The arrival of the new beds has however sparked a bit of a decluttering / tidying frenzy in me - and we all know there's only one place that leads.....IKEA! M is totally not thrilled by this idea so I think I will go with my sister (and no children woohoo!).

Audrey also had another first this week - her first play date. She has had friends over before, but usually they are Emma's friends and their siblings. This was the first time Audrey had one of her very own friends over to play. She had a lovely time. It was a little bit heart-wrenching for me though, as her new BFF's name is....Ashleigh. Hearing Audrey calling out to Ashleigh, and saying that Ashleigh is her friend and she loves Ashleigh stung a little bit. They are all things Audrey should be saying about OUR Ashlea, but instead it was another reminder that they don't have the relationship that most twins have. Funny how the little things can be bittersweet.

3 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Alison, love the bed! oh and an Ikea outing so jealous! do you know it's the breakup capital of Australia? lol So happy for Audrey for the playdate but of course it was bittersweet, thinking of you :) love the pic, M looks like he will nod off first! and lovely for the Audrey update...Emma is next!

Lacey said...

Cute bed. They still have that twin bond. It will always be there, even though they are so different.

ferfischer said...

Awww. I really understand the bittersweetness - I know that day will come for me, and it makes me sad that Penny and Cici aren't "normal" twins. In fact, it makes me sad whenever I see a set of twins. It makes them more like siblings and less like twins. Anywaaaayyyy. Btw, Love IKEA, but we don't have one within 12 hours of us! *sigh*