Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday

We are having a pretty quiet week considering preschool has gone back.

After thinking about my swimming dilemma and listening to everyone's advice, I have decided to go for the regular swimming lessons this term. Our swim school was more than happy to have Ashlea (and I) in the Mums & Bubs class, so we start next week. At first I was going to try and take Ashlea swimming while Audrey and Emma had their lessons, but I think that is a bit crazy and there is a fairly high chance I will end up screeching wildly at everyone while trying to dress myself and 3 children, so I will take Ashlea seperately. Next Thursday is the day...obviously I will let you all know how it goes! Part of me is apprehensive at being so "out there" - knowing there will be lots of questions from other parents, but the other half of me thinks "Stuff it - people need to get used to seeing people with disabilities out and about in the community".

Today we attended a Renal Transplant & Dialysis Information Day at the children's hospital. It was very helpful and informative, although I did have an "I can't believe this is my life" moment whilst driving home. Not that I can't believe this is my life, its just that I sometimes forget that this life, my life, is very different from most other people's lives. Attending an information session about dialysis and transplants certainly makes you realise how different - especially when your reaction is "that was really good" rather than "Oh no, I can't believe my poor child has to go through all this".

Although I think I am quite 'tough' now and attending these things is part of our lives, there was one moment during the talk that did make me tear up - when a dad who had donated a kidney to his daughter got up and spoke. It wasn't anything profound that he said, it was just seeing him that made me tear up. Seeing ordinary people, who you wouldn't give a second look at in the street, living extraordinary lives and doing amazing things for their children. It is a privilege to meet people like that.

9 comments:

karina said...

I think you're right, people need to be exposed more to people with disabilities, so they can gain understanding, learn what to do and what not to do, and not feel/act so uncomfortable about it.

I think it shows great maturity, even spiritual maturity to accept and be comfortable with "this is my life". For me, I learned that through infertility and NICU stays. In April when we found Letha's heart defect, I didn't freak out. I had that "this is really good" reaction rather than the "Oh no" reaction. Life will be what it will be and accepting it, in my humble opinion, is our way of acknowledging that we are not in control, but God is, and we can be content where he puts us.

Can't wait to hear how next Thursday goes.

Sarah said...

Glad to hear you made a decision on the swimming and day for you and Ashlea to go just the 2 of you. I found it very hard when I took Emily with me to Violet's lessons in the holidays earlier this year with getting 2 dripping wet kids dressed + myself!

Glad to hear the Renal Transplant & Dialysis Information Day was so informative.

Belinda said...

Will be thinking of you next week! Great decision I think!

Glad your information day was helpful.

I think you deal with 'your life' very well! xx.

Lacey said...

I'm glad your doing the class. What caused her renal failure, and is she on dialysis now?

ferfischer said...

I have those moments too - the "wow, my life really IS NOT like other people's lives, in a really big way" But, like having twins instead of a singleton, we don't really know any different, do we? As much as I wish to, sometimes. And you're right, sometimes you just never know what people are really like, until you get to know them - here's hoping there are extraordinary people all over the place, hiding in the crowds!

Alison said...

Lacey - her renal failure was caused by the twin-twin transfusion before she was born. She had no blood flowing to her kidneys for about 5 or 6 weeks before she was born, and then she went into acute renal failure at birth (very nearly didn't make it). She isn't on dialysis yet - with kids they hope to manage the kidneys as long as possible and then move straight to transplant from a living donor (ie me or M).

Anna said...

The thing I love most about your post is your last few lines.
It is so true that so many ordinary people are living extraordinary lives and giving so much for their kids.
You're absolutely right-it is a privilege to meet them.

n0thingbuteverything said...

I am glad you've made the decision about the swimming! And I love your attitude. And I hope the other mums and kids will just see Ashlea for the gorgeous girl she is!

And I agree with Anna, your last paragraph is very poignant. xo

Simone said...

Alison,
Everytime I read you blog, I just wanna bawl, but in a warm and fuzzie way, I was speaking to a mum who has 4yo twins and they have some heart problems and secondary to that is the kidneys and 1 has just had his tx AND she has a 18month old and she was telling me she can't believe the amount of time I spend at hospital, this woman is amazing haha your right, you don't know what other people have going on in their lives and their is amazing people out there.

Your girls are gorgeous, go to your thing and don't think twice about it!