Monday, August 31, 2009

I need some tea and sympathy!

I have a killer sore throat. I went to the doctor today - my doctor is lovely and very thorough - but she just isn't quite the same as my previous doctor who retired last year. You always got sympathy from her! All I got today was:

'Yeah, it looks a bit red'.

Man I can hardly swallow and am taking painkillers around the clock and it still hurts. Maybe I'm not as tough as I thought??? Apparently it is viral and will go away in time - hopefully quick time as my sister and I are going to see Ben Folds tomorrow night at the Opera House. I have been looking forward to it for ages so I will be going even if drugged to the eyeballs!

OK - whinge over.

A big thanks to everyone who commented on my last post. I think I will have to look into treating Ashlea's sensory issues rather than just ignoring them in the hope she will grow out of them (does that ever happen???). A few people mentioned brushing therapy which I have heard of before so I might look into that. Also I think we have a referral in to the psychologist at the Spastic Centre so hopefully she will have some ideas.

And now for some good news.

We've had far fewer tantrums (from all of us) over the last few days I am happy to report.

Ashlea has a new trick - she knows her own name. If you ask her what her name is she will say 'Ashlea'. Previously she would just repeat the word 'name'. I am trying to teach her to say her name in the appropriate part of the hello song (you know that song that every group therapy session starts with). Usually when we sing 'her name is....' Ashlea says 'turtle' instead of 'Ashlea' (her multi-purpose word for when the right one won't come to mind).

Also, today she did a couple of things that surprised me with her level of recognition / understanding. In the doctors surgery (which we haven't been to in months but she obviously remembers because she started crying as soon as we went in) she calmed down while I was talking to the doctor, but as soon as the doctor said to her "Can I listen to your chest?" she said "Bye Bye". She knew what was going to happen. She was listening and understanding. In the past she wouldn't have freaked out until the doctor actually touched her.

Then when we were walking back to the car we walked past a house and she said 'puppy dog'. I thought ' what - there is no puppy here' but then remembered that last time we had come to the doctors there was a dog in the yard and we had heard it yapping. She is obviously seeing her environment and making sense of it more than I give her credit for. There were no verbal cues this time - we were just walking past and she recognised the house - meaning she relied on vision alone. Don't know about you but I was impressed.

OK, I am starting to feel a little wobbly from my Nurofen Plus so I am going to go now - hope this hasn't been too much of a waffly drug induced post!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear you are sick, hope you feel better real soon. You just can't miss Ben Folds!

Great that Ashlea says her name! She is such a clever cookie...I am very impressed she remebered and visually associated the puppy dog yapping in the yard from her last visit, actually I think that is absoultely FANTASTIC!!

Belinda said...

I'm definately impressed!

Hope you get better asap, and enjoy the concert. Will be fantastic!

Lacey said...

She's getting smarter and smarter every day. I think she will continue too gain words. way to go Ashlea.

Big brother, Little sister. said...

enjoy the concert, will no doubt be even better on nurofen! lol I am really really really impressed with Ashleas speech and recognition and memory! super!!!! glad things are more settled too xo

n0thingbuteverything said...

Oh you poor thing. Hope your throat feels better for your big night out!!!

And yay to Ashlea! She's definitely shining and impressing with all her new skills. xo