Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The saddest little sight...

I took this photo of Ashlea yesterday afternoon. Is it not the saddest little sight?


I was busy doing 'stuff' around the house and wasn't really paying much attention to what the kids were doing, when I walked past the back door and saw this. She was just sitting there, quietly looking out the door, like she knew the bike was out there, like she knew she'd like to be out there too, but also like she knew she couldn't get there on her own. I tell you, I don't often give in to the 'sads' about disabillity, but this sight nearly.broke.my.heart.


5 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Oh Alison, my heart aches at the little slump in the shoulders and little tilt of the head...but hey what great stability with sitting! and you never know she could have been enjoying listening to the birds. Can you make a little ramp so she can crawl down to outside if it's safe?
Bron xo

ferfischer said...

You don't give in to the sad part about disability? I sure hope I can get there someday - right now, I'm sad all the time, and things like this, in our future (although I would be SOOO happy with that sitting!) and this will make me sad every time. Hugs.

n0thingbuteverything said...

Oh Alison, I don't have any words! That picture says so much. Hugs to you xo

Alison said...

Bron - we are hoping to get a ramp. We have a quote from home mods ($2000) so I am waiting to see if the tax fairies will pay for it :)

Ferfischer - I do still get sad about Ashlea, but writing this and reading your comment has made me realise that I am not sad all the time anymore. For the first time in 3 1/2 years I don't have PTSD or PND or something...you are still very early on in your journey. There is always sadness, but the all-consuming sadness does ease over time.

And yes, we are thrilled with that sitting!

Sarah said...

I agree with Dianne, that picture speaks volumes. Hugs xx