Monday, September 7, 2009

Just quietly...

Just quietly, I had an interesting phone call today from someone at RPA (the TV show not the hospital) wanting to know if they could follow up the girls again*. I am undecided whether to do it. The main reason I would say no is because I worry that people will think 'not them again!' seeing as this would be our 3rd time on the show. Surely the country has had enough of our story by now!

We probably will do it though as it makes for a great record of how far we have come. If it weren't for the show we wouldn't have all that video footage of the girls when they were so tiny.

Also I want to do it because I want people to see that it is OK not to get the fairy tale ending. I think some people may watch the show and be shocked at Ashlea's disabilities, but I really want to portray all of Ashlea's achievements rather than the negatives. I feel that most people only see the negatives - 'I don't know how you manage' and 'I could never cope with that' are frequent comments we get, and for the most part they are from people who are only seeing the negatives not the positives - not seeing Ashlea herself. I am hoping if we do this it will come across as a celebration of how far both Ashlea and Audrey have come.

So, what do you all think? Yay or Nay to more reality TV???

* For those new to our story or who read from overseas, RPA is a reality TV show set in a major hospital in Sydney. They followed our pregnancy with the twins and their early birth. They also did a follow up show when the girls turned one. Yes I have to admit to having been on a reality TV show!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I say YAY!

Belinda said...

YAY! It's my favourite show. I always love any follow ups they have, and for it to be all of you would be fantastic. xx.

Ally said...

I say yes because I haven't seen you guys on RPA before (because Medical shows scare me!) so for my purely selfish reasons, I say yes.

I think it's a brilliant idea to highlight Ashlea's achivements, that would be wonderful

Big brother, Little sister. said...

"Also I want to do it because I want people to see that it is OK not to get the fairy tale ending."

I was thinking the same thing, it will show reality and yes the positives of having a child with a disability. I can't wait to watch it! beats big brother or idol in my book!
Bron

n0thingbuteverything said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! like Ally, I don't watch these shows, but would 100% turn it on to watch you guys and DEFINITELY agree with the idea of putting a little more 'reality' into reality TV.

I'd be a little warier if you hadn't been on the show before as I'd be not too sure if I could trust them to present your story the way you want them too, but I take it you've been happy with any editing slants they have taken in the past, so yeah! Go for it ;-).

Naomi said...

Say yes! I would love to see you 'IRL' as such and see your lovely girls. I saw you on an RPA replay on foxtel the other day too! I think it would be great, say YES! :)

Jacqui said...

Purely selfish reasons but i say "yay". I agree wholeheartedly that not every ending is from a fairy tale and that I for one, would love to see disabilities being portrayed in a positive uplifting manner.