Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Sermon

Yes, you read the title correctly - so for those not interested in sermons it might be time to switch off your computer! Its not really a sermon as such, rather a comment (soap box moment) about something someone said in church today.

A bit of background information for those who don't usually go to church (and are still reading): Christians believe in heaven. Its the whole point of Christianity - we believe in life after death - those in Christ will be raised to eternal life - perfect life, no more sickness, mourning, crying or pain I believe are the bible's exact words on the subject.

Today someone was praying in church (in front of everyone) and described heaven as being a 'cold comfort' to someone whose relative had died. I nearly choked. I understand where he was coming from in that sometimes when you are grieving nothing feels like a comfort. BUT this is church for goodness sake. We (Christians) don't believe that the hope of heaven is a cold comfort - we believe it is THE ONLY source of true comfort for a Christian. There is no greater comfort than knowing that your loved one is no longer suffering and that you will be reunited with them in eternity. If there is no comfort in the hope of heaven then we as Christians are wasting our time and should just stay in bed on Sunday mornings.

OK, I'm stepping down from my soapbox now.

I was unsure about whether to post this as I know a lot of people reading this aren't 'churchy' but I want to be open on this blog about all aspects of myself and my life. I don't want to start a major controversy, and I definitely do think there are many sources of comfort when you are grieving, but for Christians the hope of heaven has got to be the main one.

4 comments:

n0thingbuteverything said...

I am not churchy. But was raised a Christian (baptised, first communion and confirmed) so feel I understand the concept a bit ;-).

I would say, without any background knowledge at all, of course, that these were the words of someone in grief. When my mum died, I was still a practising Christian and the thought of her being in heaven wasn't much comfort for ME. Yes, naturally it made me feel better that SHE had gone to a better placed, but for me - I was 17 and I knew I had my whole life to live on earth before any reuniting with my mum.

Faith can be a very challenging concept. I'd just say that person was having a challenged moment....

Peta said...

Hi Alison,

Long term reader here....(your girls are gorgeous!!). One of the reason's I'm drawn to your blog is sometimes a Mum doesn't get a happy ending (speaking for myself) or perhaps a ending she didn't hope for in the begining.

My son, was born at 27 weeks, he lived for 3 weeks, never leaving the NICU. For those three weeks most of his life a HFOV was doing his breathing for him, while he lay still in a medically induced coma.

Now 6 years later, my *only* comfort is knowing with every cell in my body he is in heaven, he is no longer in pain, he is at peace and he is safe.

Thankyou for this post in particular....this faith absolulty helps me through the sometimes unbearable times.

Peta xxx

Alison said...

Di - I'm so sorry to hear you lost your mum when you were so young. I can totally understand that you would feel that way when your mum died. My issue yesterday was that it was a non-grieving person saying it to the grieving person IN CHURCH - a place where we are meant to offer hope. If it had of been the grieving person saying it I wouldn't have been concerned - I think when you are grieving you have free license to say pretty much whatever you want.

I can't imagine how you survived those early months with BC without your mum!

Peta - thanks for your comment. So sorry to hear you lost your precious boy. I'm glad your hope in heaven sustains you. Just imagine what it is like for him to be there! I often imagine what it will be like for Ashlea to be there - I can't wait for the day we are all there and are without anymore suffering.

n0thingbuteverything said...

Thanks Alison. Yep, wasn't the best experience for a 17 year old, but I still feel my mum's prescence these days.

Rather baffled by the comments of your churchgoer now. Seems like a very, very odd comment to make to someone who is in a church and grieving!!!

xo