Monday, October 5, 2009

Photography 101

A few weeks ago I got a new camera. Boy do I need some photography lessons! I am actually wondering if I could use some of my lovely respite money to do an evening college course in photography???

So far I have been using the whizz bang camera as a 'point and shoot' camera as it has too many bells and whistles for me to decipher. Today I decided to try and be a little more adventurous - only a little though. Instead of using fully automatic settings I tried a couple of the camera's built-in modes - which technically is still using fully automatic settings but at least it forced me to think about what type of picture I was taking at the time. I think there are 5 settings - so far I have tried out 1 or 2. It will be a l-o-n-g time before I can even think about using fully manual settings again!

As usual the subjects for my photography practise are the children. I tried the 'portrait' mode today, although I think for Audrey the 'sport' option may have been better as she kept whizzing past me on her bike. It has also been a long time since I have used the actual eye piece of a camera (got into the habit of using the LCD screen) and unfortunately my vision has deteriorated since then so I keep accidentally cutting off people's body parts (photographically speaking of course).

Anyway, here are my favourites from today...these are straight from the camera - no photoshopping (that is another thing I need to learn...how to remove wrinkles from photos of myself - and that vein that always pops out when I yell at the children).

I have two that I like of Emma - she wasn't moving as fast so it was easier to get some photos of her.




Only one of Audrey due to her speed on the bike and her absolute refusal to look at the camera - she pretends to be shy and deliberately hides or looks away.


And this one of Ashlea - any hints for not getting sun or flash reflecting off glasses? The pig-tails were a little crazy today - almost like monkey ears. But how cute is she???


All photography tips and ideas gratefully accepted - bear in mind though that I have reduced the image sizes from 3Mb to 350Kb so as not to make the blog page too slow to load - hence a lot of the quality has been reduced. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

6 comments:

Lacey said...

My hubby is taking a photography class and he says its the hardest of all of his classes. There is so much to learn, but he's loving it.

Big brother, Little sister. said...

love the second pic of Emma with the smooth background (bokeh). No doubt Ally can come and give some real tips! Those pigtails are great!!! I would just go straight to shooting in Manual or AV and be amazed at the difference from Auto and NO flash! Bron

Ellen said...

Hi, Alison! Nice to meet you! Those pictures are adorable, you have a knack. Have you ever seen the blog http://iheartfaces.blogspot.com? They have very fun weekly photo contests.

Sarah said...

I like the 2nd one of Emma too! Good start, look forward to seeing more...

Nerida said...

Cute photos! I've worn glasses for 27 years. I always get an anti-reflective coating thing on my lenses. Not sure if that's an option for Ashlea's lenses. My mother-in-law doesn't get the coating on her glasses and it sometimes ruins the photo!

ParkerMama said...

New here from Jaxon's blog. Such cute girls!

Tammy and Parker
http://www.prayingforparker.com
@ParkerMama on Twitter