Monday, November 16, 2009

American Candy

A new and hopefully quieter week has begun.

We had a great time with my sister on Saturday. The girls were very excited to see her, and VERY excited to see all the 'candy'. I must admit that I am now so terrified of flying that I nearly shed a tear when I saw the word "Arrived" beside Carolin's flight number on the arrivals board. My mother was worried about terrorist attacks and muggings while overseas, I was just worried about the international flights...something about flying over water that is very alarming (to me anyway)!

Note to self: must stop watching Air Crash Investigation.

We all got a couple of t-shirts each as presents - Audrey got a very cute one of a person being chased by a bear with the slogan "Canadian fast food". Wish they had an adult size version of that one. I got a nice Harvard t-shirt so I can pretend I've been there.

The first thing we did when Carolin got home was open up the all the bags of 'Candy'. And I have to say - and I'm sorry to offend my American friends - we didn't like most of it. Funny how people in different places like and dislike different things (vegemite is a perfect example).

We tried Candy Corn - Emma was very excited to try it after seeing it on Wow Wow Wubzy. None of us are particularly fussed with that - its a bit too sweet. We also sampled Hershey kisses - again not great. For my Australian readers they taste like easter egg chocolate - a bit sweet and not creamy like Cadbury chocolate. And for the last clanger - I even didn't like Reeses peanut butter cups which I have heard other people rave about. I actually had to spit that one out as it tasted salty as well (I am on a strict no salt diet due to my Menieres). Carolin didn't bring back any Reeses Pieces which I have also heard people rave about. Who is Reese? And what is so good about his piece???

Now I hope I haven't offended anyone too much. Please feel free to tell me if I just haven't tasted the RIGHT candy to make a judgement! For what it is worth I have heard that you guys do REALLY good ice cream in the US. And we did enjoy the lollies in the shape of eye balls and severed toes and noses - that was fun.

So, what is your favourite 'candy'. What should we have tasted? And as Australians what should we be recommending to our overseas guests?

7 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Alison, I have to agree that Cadburys ( rocky road block!) tastes way better than the states stuff! I did not like any of the States treats when I was there! I did however love their Corn/Lime Doritos which were so good!
So glad that Aunty C made it home safe! I agree traveling over water scares me a little and I often imagine how on earth I would keep the kids heads above water when we crash but only for a minute as I am too busy chasing Pepper up and down the aisle!

ferfischer said...

Oh hahahahahahaha! I got such a kick out of this. Now. I do love my Reece's peanut butter cups, and my candy corn. But I don't like Reece's pieces - you're not missing anything there. And I wouldn't bother with our chocolate at all - we know it is FAR inferior to anything Cadbury. I pay for the British stuff if I want anything good. From AUS, I loved Violet Crumble, though. And most stuff Cadbury. I can find that stuff here if I really try - it's imported from somewhere! Tim Tams you could market here for a ton - those are yummy! But you're right, I can't get myself the nerve to try vegemite (also avail here if I try). Blech.

Alison said...

Jenny - my sister just took some tim tams and Violet Crumbles to some friends in the US recently - if she was going to Colorado I would have sent you some too! I'm more than happy to send you some supplies if you want!

Sarah said...

I am not really a candy kind a girl actaully.

Think Tim Tams are the only must for all those overseas!

Ally said...

Oh Alison, you are SO right about the Hershey's Kisses - they're really odd tasting...almost dry chocolate>?

Although, I would still eat them in a chocolate emergency!

n0thingbuteverything said...

You're right about US candy, but I will admit to being a fan of Peanut Butter cups! However, what I got most addicted when I was living in the US was Ben & Jerry's ice-cream - New York Super Fudge Chunk especially! SO much so that an amazing friend of mine was able to BRING ME BACK a tub when she last flew over there (she got them to put it on dry ice in the plane ;-).

As for Australian treats, definitely agree on the Tim-tams and would add twisties for sure.

I will admit to being mostly a fan of Belgian chocolate - LOVE my Lindt balls.....

So glad your sister is back safely. I am scared of flying, but love to travel so just do my best to imagine that I am somewhere else most of the time I am in the air AND I would NEVER watch any air crash TV shows!!! ;-)

Marie said...

No to Reese's Peanut Butter cups? Then you would not like his pieces either. I'm not really big on candy either. Maybe you would rather enjoy a plain Hershey's chocolate bar?