Friday, December 11, 2009

The J Word

If anyone wants to know how NOT to get comments on their blog...just mention the J word - Jesus.  You have been warned...I'm going to mention Jesus.

On Wednesday night I had the privelege of attending the Jesus Club's annual Christmas play.  The Jesus Club is a group that runs at our church for adults who have an intellectual disability.  Every year they put on a Christmas play and every year it is fantastic.  Often it turns out to be the best thing I have attended at church all year!

I can't tell you enough how much I love going to this night.  The first time I went I was blown away.  To be honest it restored my faith in humanity a little - to be reminded that there are people out there who can see past a person's disabilities and see them for who they are - people loved by God. 

I will admit to quite a few tears throughout the show usually.  Seeing how proud and excited the members are to put on the play, seeing how much love and respect the volunteers show to the group members, seeing our church packed full of people supporting this great ministry. 

It is also an incredibly humbling night.  To have the story of the gospel told out by the group members is an incredibly moving experience.  It always reminds me of that verse in the bible where it says:

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
1 Corinthians 1:27

Never has that verse seemed so meaningful than at Jesus Club.  Here are people the world considers foolish and weak - yet they were

shining like stars in the universe as they held out the word of life
Philippians 2:15-16 (paraphrased)

What a great night!

5 comments:

lonestar said...

Awesome, sounds like a really uplifting experience!

Anna said...

Sounds fantastic. If only more people could see that people with disabilities are closer to God than we could ever hope to be.

Belinda said...

What a great night! Approriate verses Alison!

Marie said...

So much for no comments. :)
I would love to see that performance. I love your biblical references. They seem oh so fantastic to describe the performance. You didn't happen to tape it, did you?

Mel Fung said...

Hi Alison,

Wow, it was so moving to read this post! Thank you for commenting on Jesus Club's Christmas Event. We have a blast, but to see that others appreciate it too is so encouraging.

I love that Philippians verse you posted. I get teary too to hear the Gospel from their mouths. God does use the weak things of the world to proclaim his glory.

This year our event is on Wed 8th Dec, everyone is invited. A DVD of each of our events is available.

PS: Here is my Jesus Club blog. It's not really written for public consumption, but more just to gather my thoughts and ideas, but feel free to check it out.