Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Resolutions

Do you make New Years resolutions?

With 2 days until New Year's Eve I have started thinking about resolutions.  I have only ever successfully made and kept one resolution.  Two years ago I decided to read the bible from cover to cover in a year - and I did it - last year and this year.  I will try and do it again next year too.

Having perfectionistic tendencies I can of course think of millions of things I think I could or should be doing better, and could thus write a list a mile long of things I want to work on in the new year.  However I know that if I have any chance of keeping my resolutions they have to be achievable.

Here is the short list:

* pray.
Last year when I read the bible I used to pray as well.  This year I have gotten out of the habit (unless there is a crisis of course!).  I would like to be more prayerful about my life, others lives, all sorts of things.  This is my top priority resolution - if I only keep one I want it to be this one.  I think this is fairly achievable as I am already making the time to read the bible - all I have to do is pray a little afterwards.

* exercise a little.
Basically I HATE exercise with a passion.  I have been told however, that walking is very good for you - not just for your physical health but for your mental health.  I quite like the idea of having half an hour of peace and quiet to go for a walk BY MYSELF in the morning before the craziness of the day starts.  The difficulty with this resolution is that it means getting out of bed earlier than I'd like.  Which would also mean going to bed earlier than I'd like.  Chance of success on this one is probably something like .1/10.

* try to tame my tongue.
Sometimes the things that come out of my mouth horrify even me!  This is a hard goal to put into practise, so I am going to set some guidelines.
1.  Pray for help!
2. My guideline is going  to be to try and speak to the children the way I would speak to my friends (why is it that family always get the least patient version of you rather than the most?).  If a friend really pissed me off I would bite my tongue, but I find it really hard to bite my tongue with family.

* be more consistent with disciplining the children.
We have a system of rewards and time out for discipline, but I often don't enforce it.  Often I am tired and fed up and can't be bothered to deal with the scene that will occur if I try and enforce something so I let things slide.  I want to be more consistent with use of rewards and time outs.

* spend less time on the computer.
Ouch - this one is going to hurt! Sometimes I'd rather ignore the drama in my real life and read about other people's dramas. I don't think I need to spend less time on the computer - just limit it to the evenings when the kids have gone to bed... maybe? Haven't thought this one through yet - I just know I feel guilty for ignoring the children and sitting in front of the computer screen (rightly so).

So, is 5 resolutions too many? It is really only 4 because even though people keep telling me to take up walking I know I'm not going to do it!  Is 4 unrealistic given the busy-ness of my life?

The summary (so I can remember them) is:

* pray
* parent
* prose
* 'puter

For me the secret of keeping resolutions isn't starting out with lots of enthusiasm, it is deciding in advance that WHEN you fail (not if ) you WILL get back on track and not give up altogether.

So, what (if any) are your resolutions for 2010?

5 comments:

Casey said...

What a brilliant idea. I have been so inspired by your bible reading consistency, Im gonna try the same!! Just printed out the chronological reading list (maybe I should start early to build up some credit!).

I think my other resolution is to focus on MY relationship with God this year, not what everyone else thinks I have or thinks I should have. Too many voices means Casey is a confused and useless christian.

Luv ya!

Alison said...

Hey Casey! Thanks for the comment. I have been meaning to call you for months now...

Building up credit is definitely a good move. I like to get a couple of weeks ahead of the schedule in the first few months of the year - to allow for contingencies!

Your resolution sounds great.

I promise I'll call soon!

Lacey said...

I never make resolutions, I don't know why.
I got those bags yesterday, they don't seem to work too well for jax. I really think it depends on the size of the child. He is just to small to push air out of all that tubing. Last night after his feed I pulled out 50cc's of air. One thing I do when he's not eating is leave his extensions tubing open, and wrap a newborn diaper around it. That way it continually vents his belly. If you want I can send you some bags and you can try them.

Pam Dyson, MA, PLPC said...

I'm glad to hear you're going to work on being more consistent with disciplining your children. Parenting is stressful and it's so easy to back down and not be consistent. Children know this and they take advantage of it and push until we give in. Once you begin being more consistent they'll learn you mean business and that you're not going to let them push your buttons any longer. Good luck to you!

Lacey said...

If she's fed every two hours the diaper probably won't work, but if she's being fed that much, these bags might work. Do you feed her with a pump? The other thing I've been doing, since the bags aren't working, is putting a 60cc syringe onto his extensions, and then letting his feed tubing drip into there, then his tummy is always venting. The problem with that is I can't do it when I'm out and about, because I have to rig the syringe on his feeding pole. I can send you a pic if you want. Email me, laceyrugg@hotmail.com