Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Special Exposure Wednesday



How grown up does my baby look???



A big girl ready to go off to preschool in a few weeks.

She learnt a new song this week.  On Sunday she was in Noah's (Sunday School) and the lady who was her assistant that day had a bad back so she got her husband to come over and give her a hand.  Now this guy is probably approaching 50, is a bible college lecturer and VERY respected by a lot of people, but not for a minute did he think that the job of looking after Ashlea was beneath him.  He spent the morning crawling around on the floor with her, reading stories and teaching her to sing "Jesus Loves Me".  Some people just KNOW how to treat people.  And of all the songs for him to sing with her - singing that one shows that he gets that she is a person loved by God every bit a much as the next person.  I nearly cried when I picked her up - it is so touching to see someone interacting with your child and really seeing them.

No prizes for guessing why he is widely respected hey?

Don't forget to see all the other Special Exposure Wednesday photos here.

14 comments:

rickismom said...

Yes, there ARE people like that! Glad you met one!

CristyLynn said...

How blessed you are (and is this man!). What a wonderful day!

Beverly said...

she is such a sweetie!

karina said...

I love that.

When I was a teen I worked in our church nursery/preschool sunday school classes. At that time there was a family with quads, 3 of them had special needs. I used to get so frustrated with the adults. They would try to make Amber, who was blind, color, a concept she couldn't possibly understand at age 2. By age 4 someone figured it out, and when the other kids sat down to color they brought out a bag of different textured scraps of material for her to glue to the paper. I remember watching her face and the joy she found exploring the textures and deciding which ones she would use.

Another of the girls, Amanda, had very severe CP and was wheelchair bound. They would park her in the corner to watch (and then wonder why she didn't like the class) On my weeks I would come in and take her out of the wheelchair and play with her on the floor. I would get the other kids involved in playing with her. She would laugh and smile. I loved making her smile.

I often wonder what happened to that family.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Your story just reminded me of those girls.

Colleen said...

sweet

Ashley's Mom said...

Meeting people like that always brightens my day! Gret picture!

Marie said...

Good people! Awesome!

LauraJ said...

she looks very grown up! what a sweetheart in pigtails and sunglasses!!

fyi(there's a little door on the front of the wii where you originally synced everything when you first got your wii. In that door there is a slot for an SD memory card. I take pictres with my regular camera and stick it in there and little A does the rest to make puzzles etc.)

shopannies said...

she is so cute and I believe those are the best teachers and believe me I think they enjoy it as much as your little girl does. We have many helpers at our church including one man who is a president at a bank and absolutely loves to take time for the kids

Michelle said...

She does look like a big girl! and what a sweet story you shared too.

Marie said...

Hey I posted this response on my blog but not sure you would get it and did not have any other way to contact you. Is Ashlea going to learn to read Braille too?

n0thingbuteverything said...

Gorgeous pic and lovely story. Video of her singing please ;-)

Alison said...

Marie
At this stage she won't be learning braille. Her vision is 6/60 (20/200). She is very visual in that her first instinct is to LOOK at something and then feel it. We are going to lean towards using large print at this stage. Also as she has an intellectual impairment I don't know at this stage if learning braille is feasable. Or even if reading words is feasable - we will see how things develop I guess.

Sarah said...

I agree, she sure has grown! Very cute pic.