Sunday, February 21, 2010

Happy Blogaversary to Me!

Today is my 1 year blogaversary (yes that is another made up word - blog anniversary in case you're wondering).

When I started this blog (which I had been thinking of for awhile...) Ashlea had just started crawling.  It is hard now to imagine her unable to crawl - even though we did have a small reminder of that after the swine flu shot.  She just has so much freedom now to get around and explore - it seems unbelievable that once she was completely immobile.  Unbelievable in a GOOD way of course, seeing as for a long time it seemed unbelievable that she would become mobile.

A big thank you to all who read my little blog regularly - I love youse all.  I have made some great blogging friends over the last year - some who I have more in common with than my real life friends.  It has been great sharing experiences with all of you - most of you also live in Special Needs Land and really 'get it' when I rant or rave about something.  That support and understanding is amazing.

And with that, on to today's rant, just because I know you'll all 'get it'... 

The scene...a quiet church building.  Full of people - all eyes on the front where the children's minister is talking to the kids.

A mother sits in the front right hand pew with her 3 children, one of whom is in a wheelchair (which is why they're at the front near the only wheelchair accessible door).  She decides foolishly to PEG feed her child before the children go out for Noah's (Sunday School).  She has done this many times before and quickly and quietly starts feeding the child.

But then, the silence is broken by a loud noise from the front.

The child, startled, lurches to the side in an attempt to throw herself out of her chair.  She is now half hanging out of her wheelchair (on a 90 degree angle) and wailing LOUDLY.  The force of her cries pushes the milk back up her feeding tube - which is still attached - and it starts to spill over the top.

Picture the mother now trying to subtly wheel the screaming, sideways, milk-spurting child out of the church.


Ah, the joys...

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh I can totally picture the scene! I'm sure everyone there understands!

Sarah said...

Happy Blogaversary Alison!

I so enjoy reading your blog posts even though our lives are not full of alot of great days, you always manage to make me smile while reading them with the wit you put into them, thanks for sharing!

Ellen said...

Hi, Alison. I have been meaning to stop by and visit, as I know you have come by to my little blog. Happy blogaversary. I am sorry for that scene in church, but yes, I am sure people understood. I have personally developed a very strong NO sense of shame since having Max!

Anna said...

Happy blogaversary! I love reading your blog. I can relate to so much of what you write!

And PEG feeds that go wrong in public...I could write a bundle of posts on that subject!

Belinda said...

Whoo hoo! Happy blogiversary!

Marie said...

Happy Belated Blogaversary! I'm with the others. I'm sure people understood. And if they didn't? Baaaaa....