Friday, February 26, 2010

Mummy Time!!!

This week our photography class went on an excursion.  It was great fun - the first time I have used my mind creatively in a long while (other than creatively avoiding tantrums/ER visits/people who piss  me off...).

Even though I am still a complete beginner in terms of photography, it was so much fun playing around with different settings on the camera and seeing the different effects it produced.  I still took way too many bad photos but am learning heaps and having a great time.

Things I have learnt so far...
1. My world view is - literally - off kilter...




Audrey wanted a photo of the bridge, and Emma wanted the Opera House.  I think what you can see in both of these is my balance disorder!!  Because of my Menieres I have shocking balance - and it often comes out in photos that seem perfectly on the level to me when I'm taking them - but on closer inspection are on quite an angle (these are actually the least off kilter of the shots too!).

2. Watch out for your own shadow...


I love that the dirty grey footpath looks golden in this light... I just didn't realise my own shadow was in the picture!


3. Trees are fun...



Exposure Compensation is REALLY fun...


PS - None of these have been photoshopped except to reduce the image size for the web.

6 comments:

karina said...

Very cool Alison! I think you did a fabulous job. And I really don't think the off kilter photos are bad at all! Yes, they are a bit off level, but who says everything has to be level (BORING!)? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last one.

You know what is SO cool about this to me? It's that I know someone who lives near enough these famous (exotic to me) places that they can go on an outing to photograph them.

I'm impressed. :)

Sarah said...

Glad to hear you had a great time! You deserve to! You did really well on the photos.

Anna said...

I am really impressed! So nice to read you have mummy time! Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Marie said...

I think they look great and am starting to wonder if I have a visual balance disorder....they don't look off kilter to me.

Lacey said...

They look fantastic! I'll have to bring my hubby on and show him. His problem he keeps doing is he leaves to much open space above whatever he's taking. Its so cool to me that you live that close to the Operah house!

the redhead said...

I don't have Menieres but all my photos are on a tilt too. I fix them using my photo editor. That's what technology is for, isn't it?