Monday, March 1, 2010

A few thank-yous...

Don't you love these sorts of phone calls...

I got a call today from our local home modifications team letting me know that our application for a fee waiver on our ramp has been approved. Which means we will be getting our backyard ramp built. For free. Work will start in a few weeks time. THANKS to the local councillors or whoever it is that makes these decisions - we really appreciate it and it will make a huge difference to our lives (and my back).

In other news I met some of the kindergarten mums for morning tea today (I invited them all here as I figured that would be easier with Ashlea).  I want to try and get involved at school, but it is hard to get to know people as I don't have time to hang around and chat after school drop off as I usually have to be somewhere straight away.  I also don't want Ashlea's wheelchair to be an issue.  I don't want people to feel uncomfortable or like they can't approach me because  of it.  I don't know...because I am on this side of the chair I don't know what other mums are thinking (feel free to let me know other mums).  I guess it is more of an issue for Audrey when she starts school - or even at preschool - I don't want her to be left out or not invited to things because people think it will be too hard for me with Ashlea.  Maybe that is unlikely to happen, but I am being proactive anyway and trying to be friendly and get to know people.  About half the class parents came - it was good to get to know them a bit better.  I have already started putting that to good use by asking one of them to walk Emma out of school today while the sleeping twins and I stayed in the van out of the rain. Maybe next time I shouldn't pick on the heavily pregnant mum...but she was the only one passing by and is the nicest of the school mums I've met so far! Thanks Tracey!

I'm still having great fun playing with my camera. Our homework for 'school' this week was to take photos of our street at different times of the day. I know photos of a street aren't particularly interesting but I enjoyed doing the homework, although at one stage I did think I was about to be mugged by the local driving instructor. I didn't realise he was the instructor, so when he pulled up across the road and started coming over to me saying "That's a nice camera you've got there" I started acting a little crazy and told him he'd better not be about to mug me out the front of my own house!

Here is my street at 9am and 9pm (I won't show you the whole series as it is kind of really boring).  Most of the people in the class live in the inner west where there are HEAPS of street lights, neon signs, shops etc to light up the roads.  I live in the north west where things are quiet and dark.  I had to wait for a car to pass by to take my night time shot.  Thanks Carolin for standing in the road with me in the pitch black telling me when cars were coming!

 

 

And last but definitely not least a big thank you to God for Ashlea's continuing recovery from the side effects of her swine flu shot.  Today she W-sat for the first time in over a month.  WOOHOO.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Cool pics! So happy to hear Ashlea started W-Sitting for the first time again today!

ferfischer said...

Good for you for putting yourself out there to meet other moms! I really need to work on that part. I would be scared to have anyone over to my house - my place is a WRECK.

Love your pictures! Your street is so pretty!

Belinda said...

Your street does look very pretty!

Yay for W sitting! (don't let our OT hear me say that. lol) xx.

Marie said...

Great pics! Awesome news! Our God is awesome!

Rosalie said...

So glad to hear that Ashlea is feeling better.
Love the pics!