Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A stranger's comment

Yesterday we started 'regular' swimming again as hydrotherapy has finished for awhile. I was a little apprehensive as we were starting with a new teacher and new group of parents. You know how it is on the first day - all those parents being politically correct and not saying anything even though they'd really love to ask questions, so they just try and sneak a peek out of the corner of their eyes to try and suss out what is going on.

Ashlea had a wee tantrum while we were waiting to swim - it seems patience is not her forte - but when we got in the water she loved it and got right into it.

After it was all over I was dressing her on the bench. She was stark naked and giggling hysterically - she is very ticklish so whenever you try and dry her she just giggles. Last time we had a 'first day of regular swimming' experience I was doing exactly the same thing when a stranger politely asked me what Ashlea's PEG was for.

Yesterday I got this comment instead - even though the PEG and wheelchair were in full view.

'Doesn't she have a great laugh!'

Bless her - I could have kissed this mother! Her comment made my day.

She could obviously see Ashlea's disabilities, but instead of commenting on them or asking questions, she saw a positive and commented on that.

What a pleasant surprise - here was I on edge about potential comments from strangers, only to be reminded that sometimes a comment from a stranger can be a good thing!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

A pleasant suprise for sure! If only that lady knew how much that meant to you. I hope to meet someone like her one day soon too!

ferfischer said...

awwwwww! This is so great!

Mo said...

AMEN!!!

Anna said...

Fantastic!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Alison that is great that swimming was so positive again for you both.
You sydneysiders need to move to Vic where we have many nice comments :) lol
Bron

Marie said...

:) :) :) :)
That just made me happy too!

Dotty said...

What a blessing that was!

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

Ooooh Alison, I'm so pleased for you!

I found myself bracing myself for the worst as I read, following on from the title...

You write so well. Hope the rest of the week has more pleasant surprises for you.

Lacey said...

What a great way to be reminded that there are still good people that ask the right questions. That is so crazy that we were going through hell at the same time, on opposite ends of the earth! Its such a small world.

karina said...

Very sweet! I hope I get to hear her laugh someday!

n0thingbuteverything said...

Thumbs up on all fronts! :-)