Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anzac Day

Anzac Day is a very special day to me, as my Grandpa WAS an Anzac and fought in the Great War.  He was at Gallipoli (but not for the original landing), and then fought at many of the great battles on the Western Front - Fromelles, Villers-Bretonneux, Hamel - he even saw the Red Baron get shot down.  At the age of 101 he and the remaining survivors of these battles were awarded the Legion of Honour (highest French honour) by the French Government

In the second world war, my Grandpa's younger brother was imprisoned on the infamous Burma railway, and my Grandpa's eldest child, his son, was killed in New Guinea.

Even though those events are now so long ago, for me they seem much closer.  I was very close to my Grandfather and miss him a lot.  He died in 1998 - 2 weeks short of his 102nd birthday.  I would have loved it if he could have met my kids (mind you I don't think he would have relished living to 108!!)

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
It is amazing what you can find on the web.  I found this article mentioning my Grandpa, and this video of him talking about his memory of his first days at Gallipoli.

Lest We Forget.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I now understand why you said it would be emotional for you Alison.

Thanks for sharing the video and article links on your Grandpa, so interesting to hear his own account. What a great man!

Casey said...

What a lovely post! love Casey

Ally {mtm} said...

Those links are so interesting, thank-you for sharing them Al.