Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Special exposure Wednesday: Favourite Toys


Does your child have a favourite toy? Over the last year or so Ashlea has developed some specific toy 'loves'. OK they are more like obsessions rather than loves. It is delightful to watch. She showed very little interest in toys for her first couple of years, so it has been lovely to see her develop some favourites.

Her first ever favourite toy was this turtle. It is still a big favourite and regularly gets played with. Her therapist from the RIDBC brought it out as a loan toy....it never went back. Ashea was instantly smitten.



Another favourite is her Night Garden Bridge - you may remember that this is the one she asks for loudly...but her pronunciation is a little off so it sounds like she is swearing. Wan a BIDGE she says. (Say it out loud to see what I mean).




I am so used to seeing Ashlea's 'up close and personal' style of play that I don't notice it anymore. But for those of you who don't have children with a vision impairment....this is how kids with low vision explore the world - with their fingers and by bringing the object up very close for a good inspection. Ashlea likes things to be around 5 - 10 cm from her eyes for best viewing.

And of course, all my girls loves penguins. Here is Ashlea cuddling Audrey's 'mumble' (from Happy Feet for those who aren't indoctrinated).



What is favourite in your house?

For more Special Exposure Wednesday photos click here.

Oh and in other news... thanks for the sympathy regarding my tooth.  I went to the dentist yesterday and he said it doesn't look cracked, so to give it a week or two to heal, and hopefully it will be OK.  Phew.  It is still quite sore, but a little better today so hopefully he is right.

13 comments:

Marie said...

Love all these pics and it's funny I didn't even think about how close Ashlea was to her toys until you mentioned it. It's funny what you adjust to I guess....We're still very big on Elmo around here. I love the way he grabs him and carries him everywhere like they are they best of pals!

rickismom said...

LOL When I took Ricki to America with me, I thied to teach her to say "Thank-You in English. What a mistake! There is no "th" sound in Hebrew, and Israelis usually replace it with "F". So it came out: "FFank-you", but her "a" came out a "u", so it was pretty bad.....

Anonymous said...

pml...just said it out loud!!

Jen xxx

Adoption of Jane said...

Awwww such sweet pics!!

Beverly said...

Love this! I love all her favorites, just sweet. My Noah has favorites as well but I would say Woody, Jessie and Buzz are at the top.

Lacey said...

Well with my boys its definitely legos. I find those dang things everywhere! Since Jax doesn't play with toys, he does love his mobile. We've had the same one since he was a baby and it still puts him right to sleep!

Just Writing said...

I'm still laughing cause I did say it out loud then read rickismom's comment and laughed even harder. Yep, can relate to that, ;)

Michelle said...

I love the look of concentration on her face!

Rosalie said...

Look how fascinated she is with her toys! So cute.

Deana loves her My Little Ponies and her toy kitchen and Piano. Basically anything that makes music are her faves.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

So sweet! My daughter (3 with DS) loves anything related to music. So right now it's the jack in the box. :)

Territory Mom said...

I said it out loud, so funny. Beautiful photos. My little guy speak very clearly when he is using bad words, go figure. Right now, he is saying, what the h___?

Anna said...

Beautiful photos!! I so want a good camera. The pictures you have taken have captured Ashlea so well exploring her toys.

CristyLynn said...

Ashlea is so beautiful! I love how we can get used to the words our children use for things, and then when someone else hears them, we realize what they sound like. :) Sweet memories.

My little man's favorite toy is a guitar that his daddy made for him. He has even started to imitate real playing form, which is fun to watch!