Friday, July 9, 2010

First concert!

This week is the first week of the school holidays, and it has been holiday club at our church.  Ashlea and Audrey both went to the preschool group, and Emma went to the K-2 programme.  The organisers and volunteers at church put so much effort into the activities, the kids all have a great time AND there is a free coffee shop for the adults while the kids are being looked after, which meant I had 2 whole hours without children EVERY day this week.  I know - unheard of.

Today was the last day, and at the end the preschoolers came into where the coffee shop had been set up in the church, and stood on the stage to sing a song for the adults.  When I realised what was happening I became rather alarmed at the thought of Ashlea having a very public meltdown.  I had visions of having to rush up to the front and whisk her out of the church while she was howling.  I wasn't even sure if they would try and bring her in because of the chance she would lose it.  But, bring her in they did.  Rather than wheel her in, her carer carried her in and helped her stand on the stage with the other children.

So, my Miss Ashlea stood on the stage with the other kids while they all sang their song.  Sing she did not.  Actions she did not.  BUT, she did keep the craft hat on her head that they had made, and she did not scream.  At one point she did have her hands over her ears and looked like she was about to let fly, but she didn't.  She stayed on the stage with the group and was far less disruptive than Emma ever was in her first concert.  Audrey was almost as far down the other end of the stage as possible from Ashlea, so I had to keep looking from one to the other.  Audrey did a great job of singing and doing the actions - and waving to me.  It was a great way  to finish the week.

Ashlea's first concert - I seriously could have bawled my eyes out to see her standing up there with the other kids.  

I have to say a huge thank you to all the organisers of the holiday club for all their efforts, but especially to the preschool group who welcomed Ashlea and provided a carer for her each day.  

PS I didn't have my camera, but am really hoping someone got a photo ...  I will post a pic if I can track one down.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds fantastic! Really hope you can track a photo down, would love to see all 3 of them on the stage!

Belinda said...

As one of the leaders caring for the girls this week I just wanted to share that it was a great joy to have them both with us. And just quietly we just expected that Ashlea would participate whole-heartedly in the concert as she did with every other part of the program and she definately rose to the occasion!

Anonymous said...

I can picture Ashlea now, standing there with her craft hat perched on her head! Very sweet! All three girls are beautiful, you're a lucky woman.
Nic~You're swimming companion ;)

Carolin said...

Oh wow! I'm having such a proud aunty moment :-)
Aunty Calala....

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

Awesome!! I'm so pleased that they surprised you with it (and didn't 'run it by you' first)...

...also pleased that Missy went along with it!

This is exactly how inclusion should be (IMO) - go ahead regardless, assume child can and will be part of it and then 'change tack' if its not working.

HEHEHEH - be you'll miss those two hours each day next week! Can I be part of your church next school holidays?? ;-)

Lacey said...

I forget that your girls are still in school, and that your seasons are totally backwards from ours. Its crazy!

Marie said...

Oh tears honestly welled up in my eyes! I love how they just expected that Ashlea would participate and she did!

I agree with Susan, mum to Molly!

Thank you for sharing this moment with all of us!

Alison said...

Thanks everyone - especially first time commenters Belinda and Nic!! Susan - you can be a part of our church anytime ;-) The holiday programme is only run in the july school holidays though - so you'll have to wait until next year for your 2 hours child free. Only 359 sleeps...

Missy said...

Alison...I can just imagine how proud you felt!! Woo hoo to Miss Ashlea on participating in her very first concert..congrats to Audrey for such a great concert also!!

Belinda said...

How great Alison! You must've been so thrilled!

Sounds like an excellent holiday programme! xx.