Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shock horror: A successful family outing!

Yes, you read that correctly!  Today we went on an outing with the whole family - and I think it is safe to say that it was a success.  I'm still in shock.

We had free tickets to Circus Quirkus - thanks to the Lions Club of Manly - who were performing at Darling Harbour.  After previous attempts at outings like this, with disastrous outcomes, this time we went with a plan.

The recipe to a successful outing seems to be:
1. Take an extra helper.  
2. Have an alternate outing planned for Ashlea.  
My sister came with us specifically to look after Ashlea.  Seeing as we knew Ashlea would freak out due to the noise of the show, we arranged for Aunty Carolin to come to Darling Harbour with us.  Her mission?  To entertain Ashlea while Murray and I took Emma and Audrey to the circus.

It was a great plan.

We all sat in the sun at Darling Harbour and ate lunch before the show.  Emma and Audrey engaged in one of their favourite activities - chasing seagulls.  I on the other hand only managed to sit in their poop.  Lovely.




Then, Aunty Carolin took Ashlea to the aquarium while the rest of us went to the circus.  I believe there were still a few meltdowns - but none as severe as if we'd tried to make her sit through a noisy performance that she wouldn't really be able to see.  She is very clingy to me at the moment, and was quite sad to be separated from me.  Occasionally she would just say:
Mummy?
That was until someone tried to make conversation with her and told her that her sunglasses matched her mum's shirt.  Well that was it.   It very quickly became:
MMMUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
Anyone else having clinginess issues with their SN kids at the moment???



After the show we had some afternoon tea, and then on the way back to the car, the girls had their first experience on a ferris wheel.  I have no photos from inside the ferris wheel as Ashlea and I stayed firmly on the ground.  I've got a little height phobia going on...




Ashlea was knackered by that stage...



All in all it was a great day out - and just what we needed.  It's a shame Emma can't use this for news on Monday (they have set topics).  The last time the topic 'recount a recent family event' came up she told the teacher we hadn't done anything.  Sadly it was true.

Thanks Lions Club and Circus Quirkus - we had a great day!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Great to hear you had a great day out with the family!

We have seen Circus Quirkus last year and we have tickets again for a show tomorrow, sadly the show is only at the Joan Sutherland Centre in Penrith.

I am the same with heights, I am bad enough going up a escalator/travellator.

Violet is mega clingy to me, but I have to admit lately as long as she is with Dave or I she isn't too bad.

n0thingbuteverything said...

Yay for your great day out!!!

We went to see Circus Quirkus a few weeks ago and thought it was great.

Amanda Daybyday said...

No clinginess issues, but I have the same problem when people try to talk to Finleigh. Total meltdowns usually. And at restaurants, when the waitresses try to be extra friendly to the cute little girl? Not good, not good at all.

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Great news about a wonderful inclusive day for all! I agree an extra person is always a good thing!
Oh Cooper is a Mummys boy to the max and only on his terms will he "let" me go anywhere! lol but it's really not funny!
Bron

Rosalie said...

Great photos there. Deana has recently been more even with Dh and myself. She used to be super clingy to Dh. But now it really depends on what mood she's in lol

Marie said...

Great plan and great day! Glad it worked out for everyone.