Friday, September 17, 2010

A little confession...

I need to confess something.  I hope you won't think any less of me for this.

OK, here goes...

I really, REALLY want to see Oprah when she comes to visit Sydney.

Anyone know how to get in the ballot for a ticket?

Even if I don't get a ticket for the show, I may have to go and join the crowd around the Opera House.  Anyone want to join me???

In other news, all is quiet in our neck of the woods (I know, I really shouldn't say that out loud).  We are still basking in the glow of Ashlea's new found ability to walk in the kaye walker.  We have practised a few times this week, and every time I still feel completely blown away by my little miracle. And yes I do still have the desire to swear when I see it, as it is just so damn amazing.  I don't usually get teary - I think because I am still in shock - but occasionally someone else's reaction will be so beautiful that it will make me teary.

Like Emma's reaction (imagine the volume getting louder with each statement).
Mum.
MUM. 
ASHLEA'S WALKING. 
ASHLEA'S WALKING!!!!!!
Emma was so excited to see Ashlea trying to walk - it was one of those bittersweet moments, where I was so proud of Emma for loving Ashlea the way she does, yet also reminded that this is kind of different to 'how it was meant to be'.  I love that Emma loves Ashlea so unconditionally - if you ask Emma how she feels about Ashlea she'll say "I just love her" - and that she is so proud of her little sister. So proud of my big girl.

Also, there have been a few other people who have burst into tears upon seeing the video - particularly people who can remember back to when Ashlea's very survival was unsure - that has been kind of lovely to know that there are other people who remember, and who get what a big deal this is.  For some reason I have been thinking back to that time over the last week.  At church on Sunday the sermon touched on the topic of suffering, and how suffering binds us to each other.  I was thinking back to the time the girls were first born, and it's true that we were bound to everyone at church at that time. EVERYONE was praying for the girls, and as time wore on particularly for Ashlea - for her very life.  It was amazing to be able to rely on our church family at that time.

I don't know why it has been on my mind this week.  Maybe her amazing effort last week has brought up all those memories and associated emotions?

She nearly died.  She was never expected to walk.

Now not only is she alive, but she is thriving.  Now she can walk in the walker.

What's next?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I would love to be at Oprah's Australian show too!

I think they are doing a lottery on the tickets thru Oprah's site and Channel 10, think that starts in October though.

Ashlea sure is amazing, her achievement thus far blow me away. She continues with such determination!

I love Emma's reason for loving her.

Missy said...

I know Alison...that is why I find this little girl of yours so totally amazing, a miracle, an inspiration. She has surpassed all expectations of her and she IS walking in her walker.

I find the same in our family. The excitement of an achievement is just so beautiful. They just know how incredible the achievement is and it just melts my heart.

Again, so so very EXCITED for Miss Ashlea! She rocks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison - I've watched the walking video many times, and I still get teary every time. I so clearly remember back to those few days after the twins were born and we were praying (amongst other things) that Ashlea would manage to do just a few mls of wee. Now look how far she's come! She is absolutely amazing.
- Parnee

Anonymous said...

I already checked! Tickets for Oprah arent available yet. Casey

Belinda said...

Alison I know what's next, PLENTY!!!!!

An amazing girl!!!!!

Oh and Oprag would be great! xx.

Lacey said...

I would love to go see Oprah!
I take what the doctors say the total opposite. Kids so often prove them wrong, and I love it!