Friday, September 24, 2010

School Holidays and Perhaps Another Milestone??

Its school holidays!!!  I'm really looking forward to these holidays. We have very few appointments, and are looking forward to having lots of friends over to play.  I can't believe my big girl is 3/4 of the way through her kindergarten year!!  Nor can I believe that my babies are nearing the end of their year at preschool.  Thankfully they have another year at preschool as the thought of saying good-bye to our preschool teachers and other Early Intervention workers is too sad - I'm glad I can put it off for another year!

Speaking of preschool, Ashlea has reached another milestone this week.  The milestone of being deliberately naughty - and enjoying it.

On Tuesday at group time, the teacher was speaking to the class. Ashlea was sitting with the class.  What do you think she was doing?
a) Listening intently to the teacher (hahahahaha - have you met my child?)
b) Fidgeting and wriggling but being generally quiet
c) Crying uncontrollably
d) Screaming (happy, deliberate screaming, not unhappy wailing) over the top of the teacher. Repeatedly.  And laughing when asked to stop.  And then keeping on screaming whenever the teacher tries to talk.

If you guessed option D you were correct.  She even had to be removed from the group for a little time out, AND because she kept it up she had to have consequences at play time - no ladder climbing (her favourite).  Too funny.  Even though it was frustrating for the teachers they could also see the funny side, and they think she has a pretty good sense of humour.

At play time her SN teacher encouraged Ashlea to apologise to the other teacher.  This is how it went:

Ashlea:    Sorry
Teacher:  What are you apologising for Ashlea?
Ashlea:    Noise
Teacher:  Thank you for apologising.  Now, you're not going to make noise next time are you?
Ashlea:    No

Pause

Ashlea:     AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH (starts yelling again).

Not sure how much success they had, but I am pretty proud that she has the mental capacity to be deliberately naughty from time to time. The fact that she finds it funny is icing on the cake!

What do you think?  Can I claim deliberate naughtiness as a milestone???

8 comments:

Belinda said...

You sure can!

Go Ashlea! xx.

Sarah said...

Definately! I am sitting here laughing! Just love her apology!

ferfischer said...

Totally a milestone! I love her sense of humor!

Becca said...

Damn right you can!

It's a pretty big social and developmental milestone - awareness of others and their reactions, cause and effect etc.

Good going, Ashlea.

Makenzies Miracle said...

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes! When my daughter started to throw temper tantrums because she didn't want to go to bed I cried! I was the most amazing thing to know she got it, could tell me, and was acting more and more like the toddler she was every day!

Makenzie also loves to "talk" in class. It is so funny because she stops the class in their tracks!

I love love her appology too! That was so great!

www.makenziesmiracle.org

Amanda Daybyday said...

Absolutely!!! I love it.

Anna said...

LOVE IT! Naughtiness is the most important milestone of all!!

Rosalie said...

So cute.