Wednesday, September 29, 2010

SEW: Escape - Part 2

Two weeks ago for Special Exposure Wednesday I told you about Ashlea's attempt at a near naked dash down the ramp.  Since then she has tried something far more daring.

It is school holidays at present in the land down under, and the weather is GORGEOUS.  We have been enjoying having the kids friends over to play.  On Monday I was out the front saying good-bye to some visitors.  Emma was inside, Audrey was with me, and Ashlea was.... not where I thought she was.

I thought she was inside.  However, while I was out the front I heard a little voice calling out "Mummy".  I turned to see her here:


This is our front gate.  She is about to crawl out it and onto our driveway.  As shocking as that may sound, there is worse to come. To get to this point, she must have crawled out the front door:


And down those 3 steep steps.

(Please excuse my front entrance way - yes I do use it to store equipment).

I almost had a heart attack when I saw her.  

After shrieking "What are you doing???", I asked her: "Did you go down the steps head first or feet first (her physio is trying to teach her feet first)?"

Her answer:  "Yes."

Me:  "Head first or feet first?"

Ashlea:  "Feet first"

I got the feeling however that I was being given the answer I wanted to hear, rather than the actual answer.  We don't have security cameras so I can't verify that she was telling me the truth!

Nowhere is safe and no door can be left open otherwise my little escape artist will give it a go.  I guess I should be (and I am) thankful at this new development!  It is so normal to have to watch your child every minute when they are learning to be mobile, its just that with Ashlea it has been so slow to develop that I got lulled into a false sense of security.  Ashlea has been mobile for awhile now (I think she first crawled 18 months ago),  but this adventurous streak is something new.  And delightful. 

And just a little bit freaky for Mummy!

For more Special Exposure Wednesday click here.

11 comments:

Mel Fraase said...

Oh my goodness!!! I'm excited, and freaked for you, too!!

Florence said...

One part of me is cheering her on while the other feels your pain. Now you have the three girls to watch really closely.

Sarah said...

Very scary! But great about her adventerous streak!

spectrummymummy said...

Oh yes, that fine balance between independence and keeping her safe. Good luck and Happy WW!

Michelle said...

Yikes! those stairs would make me a little leery too - especially if it wasn't feet first! But yay for your little girl to explore her independence in trying to get out and escape! :)

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

Hee hee! When Julianna, who has DS, fell out of her crib at about 14 months, her daddy and I cheered--no reservations. Because it meant she was climbing.

This past weekend, she decided to go swimming in the baptismal font at church. I tried to be freaked out or upset (well, no, I didn't really) but all I could do was laugh. Come visit me tomorrow and I'll share a picture of my drowned kitten. Or maybe I'll post that one next week...hmmm! :)

Johnna said...

AND she was thinking ahead to get her sunglasses on first!! So cute . . .

Ally {mtm} said...

Oh my!!!! Ashlea, you're super cute and tooooo sneaky!! ♥

Belinda said...

I'm impressed! xx.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Wow! I can understand your emotions. If Emily ever crawled somewhere like that and "got in trouble", I would cheer while scolding! LOL

ferfischer said...

I kind of love this - she is a cheeky little thing isn't she? I love it.