Friday, September 3, 2010

Work Update

Last week I posted about feeling stressed.  I'm still feeling stressed and overwhelmed.  And tired.  I'm sure you can all relate.  The thing I'd really like more of - and unfortunately you can't buy it in a can - is ENERGY.

This week I asked at work about increasing my hours.  Basically I pitched it like this:
I'd like to go from 1 day a week to 3, but I can only do certain days, can only do mornings, would need to leave early and would need a parking space in case of emergencies.
Most employers I imagine would not be impressed.  Mine?
Sure - let me work out some details and I'll get back to you. 
Done.

Not sure when I'll start though - I want to wait until after the coming school holidays as I really feel like I need a rest - and would have to take leave straight away to look after the kids anyway!

My biggest worry is how I am going to get everything done.  I also feel guilty and sad that 3 days of the week I won't be there in the morning when my babies wake up.  I know Murray will be here, but it will be sad having to wait until 3pm to see them.  I have to keep remembering that Emma will be at school and the twins will be at preschool for 2 of the days so I wouldn't really see them much anyway - AND they'll be having a great time.  The other day they will be with my mum which they love and are used to because she minds them currently when I work.

I guess the other big stress about working more hours is that the whole situation seems so precariously balanced.

Everything should be fine....

....as long as....

the kids don't get sick,
I don't get sick,
the kids don't take turns being sick for days on end,
nothing happens to Grandma,
the car doesn't break down,
Ashlea doesn't have appointments on my work days (um hello, renal clinic and botox),
Ashlea doesn't end up in hospital,
and the list goes on.

Seriously how do people manage their job and their parenting and caring responsibilities?  Fortunately my employers know about 'our situation' and are very understanding.  I actually think their knowing about our situation is what makes them so accommodating - all the bosses have young kids and I guess from their perspective I'm living their worst nightmare.

Please tell me this is do-able!!

I guess I can just try it and see what happens.  If it doesn't work out I can always go back to just working one day a week.

I'll let you know how it goes!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I think all you can do is try and see how it works out.

I am sure there will be things that clash at times with appts, hospital admissions (which of course I hope these don't happen) etc but as you said your employers know your situation and I am sure they would understand.

Good luck with the 3 days when it starts. I really hope you can manage to get the holidays off first so you can chill to a certain extent.

Molly said...

You have a great employer. That's how all should be, but are not. You're so lucky in that department.

Anna said...

Having a flexible employer definitely helps! I work my way around appointments by having a little bank of Time in Lieu up my sleeve. This helps me enormously, but obviously I have to work at night to accrue it.
And I don't take sick leave unless it is for one of my kids.

It can be done. You just have to work your way around things! And the kids won't mind a bit you know!!

Missy said...

Wow what a fantastic employer!! Good to have some you time (even if it is at work)and especially with the girls being at school.
Good luck!!

Belinda said...

Alison, you will manage! The kids will cope, and what a great employer you have!

Wishing you well with it all! xx.

ferfischer said...

Mine is just as flexible, and it's awesome! I hope it works out for you and I hope you love it. Although, I do feel like I'm hanging together by a string sometimes, but then again, I would feel that way working or no!