Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Special Exposure Wednesday: Sensory Screaming...Sensational???

Not.

Yesterday we took the girls to the Colin Buchanan concert.  Emma and Audrey loved it.  Ashlea ...  not so much.

Last year when we went she cried at the begining of the concert, but then settled down after the first 10 minutes or so.  Not this year.  This year she howled.  HOWLED I tell you.  For the entire concert.  Thank goodness it was held in a church building where they have a sound proof cry room.  Yep, we spent most of the concert in the cry room.



Of course as soon as it was all over she was happy again.  We hung around to meet Colin after the show - he is such a lovely guy and always makes time to meet all the children. 

I would love to one day be able to tell him how much one of his songs meant to me when the girls were in the nursery.  I had been hoping to say something to him yesterday, but seeing as I felt like throttling one of those nursery survivors for her behaviour, I didn't really feel like it on the day!

The song is one of Colin's called "Be Strong and Courageous".  When the girls were in the nursery, that song gave me more comfort than anything anyone could say to me.  There is one line in particular that stands out:
He (God) holds all his little ones safe
Whenever Emma watched the DVD containing that song, I would hear it and think of my extremely little ones being held safe.  Not necessarily safe in worldy terms.  There was still no guararntee of their survival, but I knew that God was holding my little ones safe for all eternity - and that gave (and still gives) me comfort more than anything else.

Of course whenever I hear the song now I bawl my eyes out as it takes me straight back to that time.  Even typing about it is making my teary!!


Be Strong and Courageous  -  Colin Buchanan

Be strong and courageous
the Lord of the Ages
Holds all His little ones,
Safe by His side

Be strong and courageous
the Lord of the Ages
Holds all His little ones safe

Do not fear the fire,
Do not fear the water,
Do not fear the thunder,
Jesus has conquered them all.

Do not fear the darkness
Do not fear the sadness
Do not fear the sickness
Jesus has conquered them all

Do not fear the enemy
Do not fear the poverty
Do not fear eternity
Jesus has conquered them all

Be strong and courageous
the Lord of the Ages
Holds all His little ones,
Safe by His side.

Be strong and courageous
the Lord of the Ages
Holds all His little ones safe.

He holds all His little ones safe.













** Apologies to Colin if I got the order of the verses muddled **
** As if he'd ever read this blog and know about it **

Click here for the rest of Special Exposure Wednesday.

7 comments:

rickismom said...

After Ricki was born, my step daughter shared with me the song "Hero", and ity helped me so much. Sometimes I felt as if I was the hero- and sometimes as I saw Ricki struggling to turn her head side to side, I realized that SHE was the hero I needed to be there for her (along with G-d)

Coley said...

Beautiful song. That sounds about how Noah would behave during a concert too. ;)

Mel Fraase said...

What beautiful lyrics. Too bad Ashlea isn't yet ready to enjoy :( She still looks pretty unhappy. It makes me giggle a little (sorry!).

The Henrys said...

That is a great song. I love how songs can give us comfort and strength. I love Keith Urban and when Gracie was first diagnosed and we were driving to appointments I always played his CD. He and his music mean so much to me and Gracie now.

Johnna said...

What a beautiful post!!! And you won't believe this-- we read the "Daily Light" each morning (sometimes on the way to school) and after reading the verses, my son said, "I really like the one about 'Be strong and courageous' !" So that has been on my mind today as well!

Just Writing said...

I was too busy laughing at the "felt like throttling one of those nursery survivors for her behaviour, I didn't really feel like it on the day!" part that I missed the rest.
I'm sure Ashlea made it up to you later, right?

Sarah said...

Same with me, I have a song that gives me flashbacks to Violet's birth and diagnosis...take you right back to those many moments of uncertainty.