Friday, November 26, 2010

The Its-Not-Thanksgiving Giving-Of-Thanks post

At this time of the year a lot of my American blogging friends are posting about all the things they have to be thankful for.  Last year I decided to do this too, even though I feel very strongly about Australians NOT adopting American holidays (what is with Aussies celebrating Halloween?  Seriously??).

I have much to be thankful for, not least of which is the fact that this morning I realised before leaving the house that I was wearing my shirt inside out.  Unlike last time.  Of course I am thankful for my children, for my family, for chocolate, for friends, for sleep - the list goes on.  I really like the idea though of stopping to look back over the year and take stock of how far we have come.

This year Ashlea has:
  • learnt to sit on her bottom for short periods of time
  • learnt to pull up to stand against the couch / TV / chairs / people's legs
  • learnt to get back down again!
  • learnt to walk short distances with a kaye walker (!!!)
  • learnt to stand up into the kaye walker by herself
  • not had a hospital admission (I know I'm taking a risk by saying that out loud)
  • enjoyed a whole heap of new experiences at preschool
  • participated in not one, but TWO concerts
  • learnt to talk up a storm 
Wow.  What a list.  She is just blossoming.  Her awareness, understanding of, and participation in the world has grown so much. This afternoon when I picked her up from preschool she told me:
I drawed a chismas tree
How delightful.   She knows what a Christmas tree is.  She knows she drew one at preschool.  She wanted to tell me about it.

I have definitely got a lot to be thankful for.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This year has been a fantastic year for Ashlea and I just love reading what she has achieved! I especially love (the no hospital admissions)

Carolin said...

yay Ashlea :-)

Marie said...

Yes you do! Thanks for sharing Ashlea's accomplishments with us. I am amazed at her participation! Too bad we are half a world apart. I'd love to see if Jack and Ashlea would interact with one another and what they could learn from each other.