Monday, January 17, 2011

Ode to Midazolam

Oh Midazolam, How do I love thee?

Let me count the ways...

Magical
Illusory
Dreamland,
Alluring 
Zen,
Odontophobia
Leaves,
Alison is
Merry

Sorry - I couldn't think of a good word for 'hammered' that started with M.  Any suggestions?

I went to the dentist today.  Can you tell?

Usually I have IV sedation so that I am not aware of anything that is going on, but seeing as this was 'just a filling' - I decided to wear my big girl pants and try and stay awake for it.

Of course I am not enough of a big girl to be awake and sober - so they offered me oral midazolam for the procedure.  Seeing as I regularly give Ashlea midazolam, I felt it was a good idea - my duty even - to try it for myself.  I had the same combo as she gets for botox - midazolam and nitrous.

One word: NOICE.

So for anyone who is wondering what it is like for their kids when they are under the influence, here is the scoop.

It's AWESOME.

I was awake and aware of everything that was going on, but nothing bothered me.  It didn't bother me that I was at the dentist having a filling.  I just felt incredibly chilled.  I may have even been giggling at one point.

The only catch is that it wears off quite quickly, and the dentist pushed his luck by deciding to do a teeth cleaning and fluoride treatment while he was at it,  and then he decided that if he sliced into my gum that it might help my wisdom tooth finally come through. By the end of it all I was starting to feel decidedly less chilled - so I made it my business to suck on that gas like there was no tomorrow.

Does the fact that I don't drink make up for the fact that I like some medications just a little too much?  I do believe I may have even asked the dentist if he offered a delivery service.  Like, could he come and give me a hit before things like parent-teacher interviews? Sadly, no.

8 comments:

Territory Mom said...

Or maybe give a hit to the teachers. Just checking on you. I didn't know if you are in the flood area. Take care

ferfischer said...

You are too funny. I'd never heard of that drug before, I had to go look it up. It's versed, here in the states, and I know Cici was on it in the PICU, but we use diazepam (valium) for her regularly as well. I wonder about this, though, it seems like it's similar! Maybe for HER dental stuff!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

alison you are hilarious. I am also a non drinnker and maybe this is just the hit I need on coopers first day at school? ;)

Alison said...

Bron - you would feel great, but the staggering and slurred speech may not get you off to a good start with the principal...

Sarah said...

Your hilarious! Yes, think I might need some for first day of primary school..oh that's right we have it on hand here at home for V in case of a seizure! Doesn't seem to work for her anymore, hate to see it go to waste! Just kidding!

Alison said...

You have it on hand Sarah???

Sarah said...

Yes we sure do!

Missy said...

LOL!!! Oh yes the joy of Midaz, havent had it but love what it does on my kiddies!!
I myself, am fond of pethidine. Thankfully I dont need it very often, but have loved it when I have had it on pump after my c/section...ahhhhhh

You brave girl you!!
Sarah, think I may need some for Missymoo's first day of school too!