Friday, April 15, 2011

Potential Living Related Kidney Donor

Today I received my information pack about all the medical testing regarding Ashlea's kidney donation.  All my pathology forms are stamped Potential Living Related Kidney Donor.  Somehow it makes it all seem much more real seeing those words in print.

Here is the schedule for the testing:

Next Tuesday I am to have a nuclear medicine scan in the morning & a spiral CT in the afternoon.  Sounds like a fun day hey?  The nuclear scan involves having radio-isotopes injected into me and then lots of scans done of my kidneys.  The paperwork for the CT scan has the word 'angiogram' written on it so I am wondering if it is a little more involved than just lying still for a scan.  I know they inject you with dye to get a good look at the arteries and veins to your kidneys (FYI - it is better to just have one artery to your kidney - it makes the surgery easier).

Did I also mention that that is the day Ashlea is having botox?  I'm a bit annoyed that some of the tests are next week because I am on holidays from work next week and was hoping to RELAX and not have too many stressful things going on.  Obviously I am not meant to be relaxing!

On the 3rd of May I then have a huge amount of blood work done, a chest x-ray, an ecg and a glucose tolerance test.  After all the tests are done I meet with a nephrologist (11th of May I think) to get all the results and (hopefully) the green light to donate, and after that I meet with my surgeon.  Now that makes it seem more real.

When I spoke to the transplant co-ordinator I asked him if I would need to fatten up before the surgery - for those that don't know me IRL I'm a skinny little runt - and he thought probaby not - which is a relief as I am NOT a comfort eater.  He said I would probably actually be a good sized donor for Ashlea - if they were using Murray's whopping great kidney they may have trouble closing her up after the surgery, and they may also have to artificially elevate her blood pressure for awhile to keep the kidney perfused.  So maybe being a skinny little runt will come in handy for once?

I will let you all know how it goes.

For those of you who pray now would be a good time to start.  I am not good with medical tests, and I know I will be incredibly anxious for some all of them.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

WOW! It seems like it is all moving fast for you and your family...I think it is wonderful that you are willing (and able) to share your kidney with your daughter. I will be thinking of you and your family! You will do great through all the medical tests!!! Just think of how they are only a one time thing and be lucky you don't have to do it over and over again like all the different therapies your daughter has to go through! Now that is strength!!!

Missy said...

Will totally be thinking of you and ALL your tests. What a wonderful gift you are giving your daughter. Pray that ALL the results are perfect and that you have the strength to get through it all.
Hugs xxx

Sarah said...

Will be thinking of you for all your upcoming tests and pray all is well for you to go ahead and be the donor.

Hugs x

E. said...

Just wanted to add my thoughts to those above.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I don't know you but I came across your blog. My name is Sarah, I'm 26, and on May 4th I'll be donating my left kidney to my younger sister. It has been quite the roller coaster; between actually making the decision to do this and all the testing and worrying...it's been a pretty stressful time. I've been testing since last August (2010) and although it felt a little overwhelming at times, there wasn't a single aspect of the testing that was too bad at all.
I remember being particularly nervous about the CT Angio-Gram, but it didn't turn out to be too bad. When they inject you with the dye, you'll taste copper in the back of your mouth and feel a warm flush through your body, as well as the feeling as though you may have "wet yourself", but it's only a sensation that passes quickly. The test doesn't last long and there is no pain.
They discovered that I have two arteries on each kidney, which means a little more complicated of a surgery, and a more nervous pre-surgery me.

My sister was diagnosed with kidney failure when she was 8, she is 23 now and this will be her second transplant. It's funny, but ever since I was really little, I knew in my gut that one day I would be giving my sister my kidney. I'm still dealing with the fear of the operation and trying to work out more and get into really good shape for this operation.

What you're doing is amazing, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck on getting through the testing and I hope it all turns out beautifully.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to e-mail me at Prelude_Sarah@yahoo.com.

Alison said...

Thanks so much for your comment anonymous!! What a great sister you are. I'm going to email you!