Friday, June 3, 2011

Consent

Today I signed the consent forms for my kidney surgery.

Funny how easy it was to give consent for my own surgery - I didn't even give it a second thought.   When it comes to Ashlea's consent forms I'm sure it will be a different story.  I will still sign them as I know a kidney transplant is her best long term option, but I am sure it will feel like a much bigger deal to give consent for her operation than for mine.

What if something goes wrong?  What if I give consent for this and 'something bad' happens?  You all know what 'something bad' is code for don't you?  I know it is unlikely that either of us will die, but the surgeon did have to warn me today that it is a risk of surgery no matter how unlikely.

I told him it wasn't an option.

And then I signed the consent form.

The surgeon decided that he will take my right kidney as it is the sligthly smaller one.  Even though the DMSA scan showed that my kidneys share the load evenly, on the CT scan the right kidney definitely looks smaller - so with my health in mind they have decided to leave me with my bigger left kidney.

Slowly, slowly we are getting all the boxes ticked for this transplant.  There is still a part of me that can't believe that this is happening to us, but it appears that it is definitely happening to us, so onward we go.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I really pray that all goes well as you have been through more than enough, you could do with some positives from this!

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

Onward indeed.

I think it will probably still have an air of 'unreality' about it, even when you are being rolled into the operating theatre...

I believe our minds are designed to protect us from having to absorb the enormity of some events in one go.

I'd also be quite worried about you if you were completely 'at peace' with the transplant at this stage.

There is a big difference between signing consent for yourself and doing so on behalf of your child.

Actually, just had a thought - won't M need to sign consent for Ashlea, given that you won't be there to witness it as she goes in to surgery...?

Take care, S xx

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you as always.

I'm glad all boxes are getting ticked!

Belinda. Xx

ferfischer said...

Wow! it sure is coming along - there must be lots of feelings associated with this! Keep us posted - thinking of you!