Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oops, I did it again...



I think I may have just consented to letting RPA Where Are They Now? film Ashlea's kidney transplant.

I don't know if it is the right decision.  In the past I have been much more sure about saying yes to the filming.  When I was pregnant with the girls I wasn't expecting them both to survive.  I figured that if one (or both) of them were to die, I would need that video footage to help me with the grieving process.

Then when they filmed us in 2009 I felt very strongly about the importance of telling people that its OK to not get the 'fairy tale ending'.  A lot of medical shows only show people who go on to do really well.  I wanted people to know the reality of having an extremely sick, premature baby, but also to know that life is still good.  Its different to what we imagined, but we are still incredibly thankful to have Ashlea with us.

This time, I don't know.  I think I am just really curious to see what my kidney looks like before it goes into Ashlea.  The sticky beak in me can't pass up that opportunity.  I don't know if thats a good enough reason to risk embarrassing myself on national television though!

What do you think?  Have the viewing population of Australia had enough of us?  Or do you think it is worth it so that people can see 'how the story ends?'

12 comments:

Kim said...

I think go for it definitely. It is a great series and your previous filmings were done so well. Besides I want to see!!! I am a sticky beak too!

michele goodman said...

Go for it! as long as it does not interfere in with the medical process what have you go to lose ..who knows some rich millionaire may watch it and grant you millions to go on a holiday because you deserve it ..seriously it is helpful for other people to know about something like this ..something we have absolutley know idea about - just reading your blog is a big wake up call on how precious life is - I want to see your kidney to ha!

Martina said...

I think you need to be clear in your mind as to how you feel before appearing on telly. I would probably do the show again if I was you, in part because of curiosity and being able to have a permanent memento that you wouldn't otherwise have. I don't think its a selfish reason. As far as someone who has been following along it is also another part to "where are they now"

Sarah said...

Never had enough of you guys!

I think it is worth it for sure!

Anonymous said...

Absolutley go for it....like Sarah said, can never have enough of you. It does follow on with your story, as it has always been a major issue in Ashlea's life, from those early moments in NICu with her kidneys not working properly. SO yes Australia wants to keep following the very gorgeous Ashlea's progress.

Cant wait to see it and the BIG success that it (the transplant) will be xxxx

Anonymous said...

P.s That was me Alison!!

Jen xx

Suzi said...

Make the decision that feels right to you, I'm sure the public in general will enjoy seeing the story progress and what you are doing isn't embarrassing, it's mothering. What ever you decide you will be supported weather it's on national television or here on your blog.
xx

ferfischer said...

Can't wait - do what feels right - but I think it's great!

bel said...

I say "show me the kidney"
Bel

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

I see no harm in saying yes at this stage... presumably you can change your mind and withdraw consent as the time gets closer if that's what you prefer...?

I don't suppose you get to see what they're planning to show before it goes to air?? Kind of final approval...?

I have to say I'm not surprised they're interested in covering this next chapter, but I am curious to know how they get 'access' to film in another hospital...

I guess TV producers have a lot of power when it comes to things like that...

Whatever final decision you make will be right. Susan x

Sheridan said...

Came over from Facebook! Love your blog....I need to go back and read more. You write beautifully!

As Bel said above "show me the kidney". If you feel like it's the right thing. then it's the right thing.

Alison said...

Thanks for your support everyone. I'll let you all know when my kidney is going to be on TV!!

Susan - you don't get to see it before it goes to air, but you can ask them to stop filming at any time if you are uncomfortable. It was never intrusive before - in fact it was a welcome distration at times to have other people around to talk too. Also (just quietly) you get more time with doctors and more explanations as they have to explain everything clearly for the TV :)