Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A pony ride and a near heart attack...



On Sunday after church we went to the local community fair.

Once again the power of a cute child in a wheelchair won out and Ashlea got offered a free pony ride.  So cute - it was her first time on a pony and she loved it.  She mostly held onto the handle thingy (sorry - I'm not a horsey person) and only spent about half the time trying to ride the pony while covering her ears with her hands.

Just before her ride I came close to having a heart attack.  While Emma and Audrey were hopping on the ponies for their turn I put Ashlea's brakes on her wheelchair and stepped away from it to help Murray.

We were on a hill.

I have now discovered that Ashlea knows how to release the brakes herself.

Luckily I saw her out of the corner of my eye as she started to accelerate down the hill - and was able to jump in front of the chair and stop her.  I don't usually move fast, but I tell you I moved fast that day.  Every time I think about it I have palpitations and feel sick all over again.  The outcome could have been devastating.

Lesson learnt - never trust the small cute child in the wheelchair!!!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I can understand your near heart attack, glad she is okay.

Good to hear Ashlea enjoyed riding.

Anonymous said...

Oh Goodness, I had that this summer.Talk about slow motion!! and a near heart attack. Won't be doing that again haha

Anna said...

Argh. My worst nightmare. Glad you saw her though. Ashlea looks great on a horse!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness you sure do have adventures!!

Missy said...

She is so cheeky and so very cute!

She looks great on the horse.

Kathleen Basi said...

But it makes a darned funny story! :)

SoCo mom said...

Oh my goodnses - glad to hear the pony ride had a happy ending! We've learned a few things the hard way too. That is one adorable picture.

Michelle said...

oh goodness! Glad you were able to catch her!

CristyLynn said...

So glad you were there! We had a very similar experience this summer when my son thought he could go down stairs by himself. I still have nightmares, but thankfully he didn't have any injuries, which is a real-life miracle.
Glad to be back in the loop with y'all and the other moms. Ashlea has grown so much over the last few months, even more beautiful!

Just Writing said...

Great job Mama, glad you were able to catch her. On the other hand, Woohoo for the pony ride and for Ashlea for figuring out the brakes on her wheelchair AND hiding that fact from you.

ferfischer said...

That little stinker! Our lives are never boring, are they?

Rosalie said...

Deana does the same thing,can give you quite a scare. She looks so cut on the pony <3