We returned a positive cross match.
Crossmatch - The basic crossmatch test involves a mixing of cells and serum to determine whether or not the recipient of a kidney will respond to the transplanted organ by attempting to reject it.If the cross match is NEGATIVE the transplant can go ahead as the recipient will be more likely to accept the organ.
If the crossmatch is POSITIVE the transplant cannot go ahead as it means the recipients immune system will mount an instant attack on the kidney and reject it.
And yes you did read that correctly - Ashlea and I now have a POSITIVE crossmatch meaning I can't give her my kidney as her body would reject it.
This positive crossmatch is new - the antibodies causing it are new. They weren't there 6 months ago when we did the initial cross match - they have developed in the last couple of months. The doctor thinks they could have developed when Ashlea was sick last term.
We do have one final straw to clutch at - and believe me I have a very firm hold of it.
Ashlea's results are showing that she is also showing an immune reaction to herself (don't worry - I have no idea what that means either) - because of this they are running the tests again just to make sure that it is not somehow interfering with the crossmatch results. We have to wait until next week for the final results. Until then I am going to clutch onto that straw very tightly - although the doctor didn't seem too hopeful about that.
If it is a true positive cross match it means that not only can I not give Ashlea a kidney right now - I probably can't ever give her a kidney as she is sensitized to me.
The next step is to wait for the final results - hopefully there has been some crazy lab mix up and this isn't really happening, but if it is a definite positive cross match the transplant is off until we can find a new donor. The doctor has already put Murray's paperwork in so he can go for the transplant work up - but even if he were approved really quickly there are no available spots in the transplant calendar until at least May.
At the very least it is looking VERY unlikely that we will have a November transplant.