Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The first of the lasts....

Now that Term 4 is under way we are starting to experience the first of some significant 'lasts'.

Last weeks of preschool.  Last appointments with therapists who have known Ashlea for years.  Last days of work on campus for me (oh yes - that working from home plan is coming to fruition).  Last therapy session with the Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (RIDBC).  Ashlea has such a lovely connection with all these people - it is sad that we are finishing up with them.

Don't get me wrong - I'm excited for Ashlea to start school and am looking forward to some upcoming 'firsts' as well.  Next week is the first day of kindergarten orientation.  My little babies are ready for big school!

It's just that I am sad to be leaving some wonderful therapists who have helped Ashlea enormously.  It is a shame that these transitions are happening sooner than they usually would because of the surgery.  Ashlea will miss out on some of the rites of passage that I had been looking forward to.  The end of year preschool concert.  The Christmas party at the RIDBC where they have a graduation ceremony for all the children going to big school.  I'm so sad we will not be there for that - they have been the service we have been with the longest and Ashlea has LOVED her time with them.  Every year I have had a tear in my eye watching the children graduate and imagining what it will be like when it's Ashlea's turn.  Ashlea probably couldn't care less about missing the graduation, but I care about missing it!  It's a big transition for me as well as for her.  Some of these therapists have been with us since very early on and have shared this journey with us.

Can you tell I'm feeling nostalgic this week?

We also have our farewell visit to Gladesville (our old church) this Sunday where we have the opportunity to publicly thank everyone for all the support they have given us over the years.  I'm loving going to church only 5 minutes from home, but it is sad to officially say good bye to people at Gladesville who we have such history with.  We are kind of in that awkward phase of changing churches - we have 'moved in' and started to make friends but we don't yet have any close friends that we have history with.  No one there knows the full Ashlea story and what we've been through.  There aren't people that we know well enough to say "Oh My Goodness the transplant is in a month and I'm freaking out!!!!".  Well, I guess I could say that (although we all know I never will) - but it's not the same as when you say that to someone who knows you well.  Or when someone knows you so well that you don't even have to say it.

Sigh.

The times they are a changin'.

5 comments:

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

Oh Alison I hear you...

I remember very clearly this time last year grieving the end of Molly's 'early intervention' years.

It is very hard to say goodbye to the services & people who have been there for us through some of our toughest times, darkest days and most significant milestones & inchstones.

Plus for you the added regret at missing out on some of the significant farewells... Big hugs, Susan xx

Ellen said...

Hi, Alison. I went over to Cindy's blog just now to say hi, saw your comment, and came right here.

You have every right to feel nostalgic! I certainly would. Big transitions like this are really tough. I am not good at them myself.

If there is anything I can do to help you with the upcoming transplant, like sending you magazines to read for the hospital stay, please email me to let me know!

Sarah said...

Yes that is a huge having the therapists services finish when you have been with them for so long.

Sorry to hear you will miss those important events :(

I am sure this weekend at church publicly thanking everyone will be a very emotional one.

I have been thinking of you alot the past few days as transplant is around the corner x

Alison said...

Thanks Susan and Sarah - I remember you guys going through this last year.
Thanks Ellen! Although I think you'd pay ten times the cost of the magazines in postage I think!!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm finally learning that those moments never end...my baby is almost 15...we still have lots of lasts...and it gets me every time! have a cry - because we all do, and it's mostly therapeutic - and sometimes a little self indulgent :-) Wow, only a month til the transplant...that's big. I think it's ok to freak out - just don't lose sight of the big picture and the bigger God who loves you both xx Hugs to you all. Rose