Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Humbug

It's that time of year again.

By now most of you probably know that I am too much of a pessimist to enjoy New Year's Eve. I'm never the one looking forward with wonder at what fabulous things might happen in the next 12 months.  Usually with fear and trepidation I am worrying about what will go wrong!  Will we be healthy at the end of another year?  Will there be any accidents?  Will we all still be alive at the end of another 12 months?

It is highlighted even more this year knowing that Ashlea will be either having a kidney transplant or starting dialysis in 2012.

Far out.

The other night I did some kidney googling (never a good idea really).  I didn't know that once you get to the stage of needing 'kidney replacement therapy' - ie either a transplant or dialysis - that if you don't have that therapy you will die quite quickly.  If you don't pass much urine you can only survive for a couple of weeks at most.  If you pass a reasonable amount of urine you can last for a couple of months.

That's not very long.  For some reason I had always thought that you could last longer.

It makes it seem much more urgent that Ashlea gets a kidney.  I can't believe that my child - even though she is so well - is potentially also so close to death.

So, yeah, that is where my head is this New Year's Eve.  Bah humbug!

Rather than drag you all into the 'dark and twisty' place with me, how about we review the year in pictures?  Because there were actually a lot of good things that happened this year!

Here are my gorgeous girls in January...




In February Emma went into year 1 and Audrey and Ashlea returned to preschool...


In March Emma turned 7


And in April Ashlea and Audrey turned 5


In May we had the girls birthday parties where we sang that wretched song...


Cuddles in June...


In July the photographic evidence tells me we stayed in our pyjamas.  A lot...


In August we had a few encounters with the object of our affections...


In September Ashlea got her ipad.  How did we ever survive without it??



In October Ashlea decided it was time she learnt to play the Wii...(although the real triumph is that she is sitting on her own on a regular chair):


In November I decided that maybe these two did look a little alike after all...


Now it is December...and Christmas....and our house is once again full of ducks...


Are any of you doing resolutions this year?  I'm not - I never keep them anyway so I'm going to save myself the trouble this year!

The only resolution is to get through 2012 - whatever that may bring.  And maybe to stay away from google...

3 comments:

Anna said...

Definitely stay away from google!! But I can totally understand how you are feeling about 2012. I truly hope that it brings health and happiness and lots of wonderful things.
xo

Sarah said...

Yes agree a huge year approaching for you guys! I really hope that all goes smoothly for Ashlea and for all of you in 2012 and Stay away from Dr Google for sure!

Don't really do new years resolutions...but my main ones would be less time in hospital, appts and sticking to my weightloss/fitness plan as I have been the past few months :)

ferfischer said...

I prefer not to think of a whole year and what it can bring! Maybe just a day at a time. I'm not a fan of new years for the same reason. Every year turns out so much different than I imagine! Anyway, my resolution is to unplug more. Limit my time online, which is hard since I work online, but I will limit time doing time wasters.