Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 55 - Lost In Translation


Ashlea has started attending Sunday School this year.

When we were first thinking about changing churches I was worried about how a new church would accept Ashlea and accommodate her needs at Sunday School.  I needn't have worried. She has always been welcomed at kids church - even when she would rather not be there!

This year an extra helper has been rostered on to her class so that instead of 3 leaders they now have 4 - and they each take turns being Ashlea's helper.  Ashlea is really enjoying it and it makes a huge difference to us knowing that while we are in church she is being included in Sunday School with her sisters.

For all their wonderful efforts though I think some things are getting lost in translation.  When I asked Ashlea about today's story (the 3 wise men visiting baby Jesus) I was told by her that in fact there were only 2 wise men and that they brought Baby Jesus a blankie as a present - none of that gold and frankincense stuff!

Extra props to the team though for unknowingly completing the kindy crown making homework for next week :)

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Alison,

I don't think I've ever commented before, so Hi!

You never know, Ashlea may be right with at least some of it. If you look at Matthew, it only says "wise men", it doesn't say how many - people only assume 3 because of the 3 gifts.

Alison said...

Hi Caroline - yes you are right - no mention of the exact number of wise men. Pretty sure there was no mention of them bringing blankies though :)

Deb L said...

I asked my 3-year old son, not long after he first started attending Sunday School, what he did in Sunday School. He said, "We do drawing." "Oh, that's nice. Do you do anything else? Do you learn about the Bible or hear a story from the BIble?" "Nope. We just do drawing." This would have worried me had I not been the Sunday School teacher that term doing the Bible story every week! I just laughed! Obviously, I was being totally lost in translation.

Sarah said...

She makes me giggle.