Thursday, April 19, 2012

T +21 3 Weeks Today

Pretty much at exactly this time 3 weeks ago I was excitedly rushing in to see Ashlea after hearing the words I had waited 5 years to hear - the kidney is in and it's working!

I feel like the excitement of that day has been tarnished by what has happened since.  I am so glad Murray came home from hospital yesterday as I know there was another kidney transplant at the children's hospital today.  I really didn't want to have to bump into the other donor on the ward (or the recipient for that matter).  Don't get me wrong - I don't want them to have a bad outcome, but there is a little part of me that would be wildly envious if I had to see them having their good outcome.

That should have been us!!!

Instead Murray will head off to rehab tomorrow.  I have no idea how long he will be there for.  I have no idea how I am even going to get him there!  I have to take Ashlea for bloods at the kids hospital in the morning.  Then I have to come back and swap Ashlea for Murray and take him for bloods back at the adults hospital (no I can't take them both together - too much walking for Murray and too much infection risk for Ashlea).  Then after all that is done I have to get Murray up to the rehab place in a timely fashion.  Anyone perfected cloning yet??

On a more positive note we have enjoyed a quiet day at home together just pottering around the house.  Murray is still pretty tired but the girls have engaged him in some incidental therapy by dragging him outside to watch them ride their bikes and by forcing him to be one of the 'students' in their 'school'.  I think he also got to be a Masterchef judge as well.  This is why he needs to be at home!!

4 comments:

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

Was thinking of you today at the three-week mark...

I for one completely understand not wanting to have to see time with others who got/get the fairytale outcome.

Still happens for me, six years on.

Hugs, Susan xx

Missy said...

Oh Alison, they must be such normal feelings to have.....yes it should have been you, a complication free transplant and recovery. Don't know what to say but take care if yourself and hugs to all your patients x x x

Anonymous said...

How wrong it all is. I wish I had a time turner to go back and make things to be different. We can hope that the hospital staff have learn't something huge, but we wish it didn't happen at your expense.

Glad you had a nice family day and there was some sun shining down on you
praying for you all,
love
sue

Sarah said...

No one could have imagined what was to unfold for you all 3 weeks ago.

Of course we all knew this was major surgery but never expected what has happened to happen.

I understand you not wanting to see how things should have been.

Hope Murray's rehab goes smoothly and so pleased your girls are such good therapists for their Dad.