Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Easier or Harder???

I can't decide if its gotten easier or harder over time to take Ashlea for medical procedures.

In some ways it is easier - we are very familiar with the hospital now and with the way things are done.  We know how to get things done as efficiently as possible.  Ashlea is reasonably tolerant of blood pressures, weighing and measuring, poking and prodding - even blood tests to a degree.  Even I am more tolerant of blood tests - I can now watch the needle go in as well as the rummaging around under the skin to get it in the correct spot.  When the blood flashes back into the tube I tell Ashlea excitedly - the blood is coming!  We're nearly finished!

Other times I think its gotten harder.  Ashlea is older now.  She can (and does) protest much more vigorously.  She knows she doesn't want to have the procedure done.  She begs to go home. 

Every so often I am reminded of just how much she puts up with.  Today Ashlea had a kidney scan that she had to literally be strapped to the table for.  Thank God - again literally - thank God for the person who discovered or invented midazolam - without it this would not be  possible:


What a brave (and quite stoned) little chicky. 

5 comments:

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

Yay for the good drugs!

As you say - some aspects get easier, others get harder...

Hope you are hanging in there with the 'ordinary stuff'.

Hugs & hope to see you soon, S xx

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Thinking of you guys everyday xxx please give her a big squeeze from me x

Sarah said...

Very brave Ashlea, thinking of you all x

Anonymous said...

I hope those scans come out great.
Love from Fay

Anonymous said...

Alison, I've commented about six other times on your blog and the comments don't get through from my end. I know they are not getting through from my end because the 'visible after approval sign' does not come up.

Love from Fay