Thursday, May 3, 2012

Scan Results

Ashlea's scan from Tuesday came back all clear.  The reason they did the scan (a MAG3) is because her ultrasound the week before showed some 'things' (a dilated renal pelvis) that could have indicated a blockage.  The scan showed that there is no blockage and that everythinig is working well.  Her creatinine is still a healthy 32 and the doctors are very happy with her.  There are even rumours that she can go back to school one day a week starting next week.

Murray had a kidney check up this morning and the good news is that his creatinine is now down to 200.  For someone his size a normal creatinine (with 2 kidneys) would be around 100.  With one kidney it should be around 120 I think (but can take awhile after surgery to reach that) so things are definitely heading in the right direction.

Now that Murray is busy at rehab and Emma and Audrey are back at school, Ashlea and I have had some free time this week.  I tell you it is doing my head in.  All I can think about is what has happened.  There is never a moment when it's not all in my head. Problem is that having free time does my head in, but being around 'normal people' and doing 'normal things' also does my head in so I don't know what the answer is to that!  I do know that spending time with other people who have complicated lives like ours seems to help.  Even if their circumstances are completely different - if someone has suffered loss or had a hard time in some way I find it much easier to relate to them.  They 'get it' on some level - and hopefully I can 'get' their situation too.

So fellow inhabitants of bizarro world - feel free to drop in for a coffee!  Ashlea and I are often free during school hours - you just have to be healthy to join us.


12 comments:

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

I'm really sorry I couldn't be there today Alison...

And tomorrow I have three appointments in the city. Sorry...

But generally I would love to come and debrief with you!

One day next week? Is bringing Wendy an option at all?

Hope to see you really soon,

Susan xx

ferfischer said...

I would LOVE to come for coffee! Idle time, you know, it always does me in too. Glad things are trending better for both of them.

Missy said...

REALLY wish I could pop in and have a coffee with you xxx

Cant tell you how relieved I am to hear that Murrays levels are dropping...that is good news. WIll continue to pray for his recovery xxx

Alison said...

Susan - as long as she is healthy Wendy is definitely welcome. Ashlea loves to have someone bounce the jumping castle for her :)

The Trousdell Five said...

I would love to share a coffee and talk about life :) Glad to hear both of your troopers are headed in the right direction.

Casey said...

I found, after changing from working to being an at home Mum, that I had to learn how to relax and not 'do' something. I think being able to cope with not being on the go all the time is a learned skill. Obviously your situation is not the same as mine, but practice hard and go easy on yourself! Good news on all health fronts. I hope Murray is doing OK at rehab.

Lacey said...

It sounds like things are finally starting to calm down a bit at your house! Thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever met a normal person, Al! Everybody has crap in their lives, not necessarily the same amount, and not always at the same time - I'm not meaning to minimise what you have been through. Getting back into normal stuff is absolutely essential as it helps us balance life's struggles. You're not alone, and spending time with others doing normal stuff is part of moving forward. Hard but really important. It also tends to get harder the more we put it off. No one really knows what you are going through because they can't know... But it doesn't mean they don't care or can't show empathy.

Anonymous said...

Sooo glad your patients are both on the mend. I hope YOU heal up soon too xx

Margaret

Sarah said...

So happy to hear Murray's levels are dropping!!

We have colds here otherwise would have loved to pop over and visit.

Marcy said...

I am so glad to hear things are going well! I am a fellow bizarro world citizen, but am far away from you...so no coffee chats. Although I am having my coffee right now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison, I keep wondering why I am drawn to your blog since I don't know you and found this blog because you are a friend of a friend of mine on facebook and I can't even remember who that friend is! You have answered my question though, when I find looking after my 10 year old who has severe depression overwhelming it does me good to remember there are others who have adversity too. We have also had a newborn daughter die and while I don't ask why, (I know why, we live in a broken world that God will fix when Jesus returns - come Lord Jesus - but not till you have saved My family:) ), I AM surprised that this is where my life is going. I shouldn't be, but sick children changes our life plans. So thanks for blogging and giving me someone else to think about and pray for. Louise