Monday, June 25, 2012

Work

Murray and I both have jobs that we have been absent from for the last 3 months.

Murray is currently on special sick leave.  He has been with the NSW Police for over 20 years (seriously) so he is entitled to 8 weeks of special sick leave once his accrued sick leave has run out.  He will continue to use up all his different types of leave until it runs out completely (roughly early August).  At that point he will apply for Sickness Allowance until he is able (if he is able) to return to work.

I have been on Long Service Leave  for the last 3 months.  My leave will run out shortly at which point I will be taking "Vice Chancellor's Extraordinary Leave".  I have an extraordinarily generous, family friendly, supportive, flexible employer - the Australian Catholic University.  Basically I will be on PAID leave (yes - paid leave) until the end of this year due to our extraordinary circumstances.  I am so fortunate and thankful to have such a supportive employer!  Even if I wasn't able to get paid leave I would be able to take unpaid leave and know that my job was safe.

So that is what we are doing about work - we both have jobs but neither of us will be at them for the next 6 months - and we are both very thankful to have such supportive employers.  It is such a relief to know that that is one thing we don't have to worry about.  It is also a huge relief to know that seeing as I will be getting paid we will at least have some income coming in to help pay the mortgage and feed the children!

5 comments:

mandy said...

Alison, I have wet eyes reading about your work place. Yes Extraordinary Leave you are entitled too. Thank goodness.

Deb said...

Wow. That helps a lot. I am so pleased to hear it.

Big brother, Little sister. said...

i have been thinking about this and am thrilled you aree both in such supportive workplaces, they are lucky to have you both too x much love to you all x

ferfischer said...

This is wonderful. Be thankful you don't live here - that's all I can say!

Melissa Mitchell said...

Oh Wow. How wonderful that you are in this position (I know I'm still months behind, bear with me). I have a close friend who's husband had an aquired traumatic brain injury. It has been 2 year now and he has not recovered. Unfortunately his boss let him go immediately (he wasn't able to drive) and they lost their home. I have another friend going through something not dissimilar - though not quite so dire. I'm so happy for you that your employers are so understanding.