Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Carnival of Cute



Ashlea attended her very first school athletics carnival today.  She did really well and participated in all her events - wheelchair races, wheelchair obstacle races (above), discus (below), shot put (with bean bags) and of course a relay race.


Ashlea didn't freak out and seemed to really enjoy it.  I also achieved a personal best when I helped Ashlea and her team to 3rd place in the relay race - my best ever finish in a sporting event!

In the early days of disability I would have attended an event like this and been overwhelmed with sadness that my Ashlea had a disability.  Now I attend things like this and love seeing the children and their abilities rather than their disabilities.  Every child at that carnival has overcome more obstacles than most of us will ever face in a lifetime - now that is ability - and it is something to celebrate!

10 comments:

Anna said...

Love it Alison!!

Anonymous said...

We have our first one coming up and I hope my experience is as positive ad yours and the sporting Miss Ashlea! Live her to bits !
Jen x

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Oh wow! Great job to you both! This is one of the reasons i would like to get Cooper into a sporting group for wheelchair users to celebrate those abilities xxx

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ashley! I was wondering how you guys were enjoying today!? It is a wonderful experience, so glad Ashley didn't get overwhelmed by the day and so glad for you too :) Di

Tee said...

Yeahhh Ashlea - Go for Gold!!

Is Ashlea in Special ed. or Mainstream? I can never work out, although it might not work this same in Aus as I'm in the UK :)

Alison said...

Tee - she is kind of in both - a special Ed class within a mainstream school. The carnival was specifically for children with a disability.

ferfischer said...

OMG - that is a carnival of cute!!!! I love this!

Tee said...

Ah that is such a fantastic set-up Alison! I have just graduated as an SEN teacher; We have integration sessions with the local primary schools, but to have that set-up would be AMAZING for some of my kids, and the mainstream kids also.

Very jealous :P Ashlea is one lucky girl!

AutismWonderland said...

So cute!! And I absolutely love & agree with this -

"Every child at that carnival has overcome more obstacles than most of us will ever face in a lifetime - now that is ability - and it is something to celebrate!"

SO TRUE!

Anonymous said...

A big day of great achievements on many levels!! Well done both of you.
Love seeing the photos.
love
sue