Monday, October 22, 2012

Celebrating Milestones {Writing Prompt}

I'm so glad this is the topic for today's writing prompt.  I was worried I would have to skip this week's topic if it was something 'deep' and 'heavy' as I knew there was a potential milestone looming on the horizon for TODAY.  The whole point of milestones is that they need to be shared with everyone and celebrated long and hard - so rather than listen to me reflect on how much it means to celebrate Ashlea's achievements - let's just celebrate one!

Today Ashlea's class had their turn leading the school in assembly - and more than that - Ashlea had a speaking role!  I cannot tell you how excited we've been and how many times we've practised her line:

Thank you Mrs B.  Mrs W would you please now lead us in a song.

This morning dawned with great anticipation.  We practised again before school.  And again and again.

Finally it came time for assembly and we waited with bated breath.  Would she pull it off or would she go down in a screaming heap?  Assembly is not her strong point due to the unpredictable noise levels.  Those enthusiastic renditions of such classics as My Highland Goat and The Lion Sleeps Tonight sometimes tip her over the edge.  Can't say I blame her.


She was great though!  She said her line!  Twice!


(Sorry the photo is a bit dodgy - but I have to crop / pixelate out everyone else for privacy reasons)

We celebrate milestones of all shapes and sizes in our house.  It may seem like a small thing to participate in school assembly - an everyday, mundane, normal thing - but that's the whole point! Ashlea is alive and well and participating in everyday, mundane, normal things!  When you weren't expected to survive everything is to be celebrated - from the great big milestones like walking and talking - right down to the 'everyday, mundane, normal things' like school assembly.


{Ellen Stumbo's Writing Prompt}

12 comments:

Missy said...

Well done Ashlea...Soooo proud of you for participating in the everyday normal, mundane things!!
Although some people who arent good at public speaking would find this event a HUGE milestone!

LOVE it xx

Big brother, Little sister. said...

In the jungle the quiet jungle....oh the memories!
Fantastic milestone , just so typical but that little bit more awesome for your darling Ashlea xxxxx

Melissa said...

So glad it all went well and she just stuck to her own lines. A huge milestone and one that would have brought a little tear to my eye.

Naomi said...

Ashlea, you are a very inspiring and gorgeous little girl who has been through so much and it brings a tear to my eye on how far you have come.

T said...

Yeahhhhh Go Ashleaa! You are awesome :)


What a great achievement, for you and for the school! I think all schools should follow in their footsteps, and just believe xx

Louise said...

From someone whose baby girl didn't survive, I LOVE that you appreciate the so called little things and celebrate them.
Well done Ashlea, no way I would have done that as a kid! I cried and ran away every time.

Anonymous said...

Wow - participating in a school assembly is a huge milestone - by no means an every day, mundane thing - and it takes great courage. Neither of my boys would ever do this (which is OK). If assemblies are not Ashlea's strong point, then it is quite an achievement! She really looks the part, too.
Julie K

Marie said...

Hooray for Ashlea!!! Thanks for making me smile tonight!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Ashlea is such an inspiration , I don't think my boys kinder class has done this .
I still remember being in the twin group on EB when the girls were born and how every update was touch and go . It is so heartwarming to see Ashlea meeting milestones and thriving.


Runningmama said...

Good Job Ashlea!

The Trousdell Five said...

Oh my gosh, what an accomplishment this is!! I don't think Rio would be able to do that, nor would I have at their age. Well done Ashlea!