Monday, October 8, 2012

Defining Moments {writing prompt}




My defining moment isn't so much a moment as a person - it's Ashlea.  She is my defining moment.  When I think of my life I think of it as 'before Ashlea' and 'since Ashlea'.  Having her - being her mother - has changed me to the core.

Friends who have known me long enough to remember the 'pre-Ashlea' me will attest to the fact that I would have been the last person expected to cope with an Ashlea-like event!  But here we are - six years into this journey - not just coping - but being transformed by it.

Having Ashlea has taught me about what is really important in life.  The things that our society values are out of reach for Ashlea.  She is never going to get a great job or own her own house. She won't have academic or sporting or any other kind of worldly success.  But that doesn't matter! None of that matters.  What matters is that  Ashlea has a wonderful life - a life of quality, of love and of joy - and that one day she will be in heaven with God!  Nothing else matters - for Ashlea - or for any of us.

I can remember when Ashlea was very tiny and very sick begging God to 'just let me keep her'. I am so thankful that He did let me keep her and for the blessing that she is and the perspective that she brings.  Maybe that's the defining moment in and of itself - that Ashlea - and this life of disability are a blessing rather than something to be feared.


{Linking up with Ellen Stumbo}

9 comments:

Missy said...

I didn't know you pre Ashlea but I thank god for her also...if it was not for her I would not have met your beautiful family and be involved in your lives x x

Hev Kroll said...

This is beautiful. It is very like Job.

Tasmanian said...

Beautiful.

teamaidan said...

Yes, this is so beautiful.

catchupdaphne.com said...

I completely know what you mean. If someone had told me, pre-Daphne, that I would parent a child like her, I would have said "no way, I just can't." But life is so wonderful with her in it.

ckbrylliant said...

You could not be more right. Nothing of the World matters. Only love.
Stopping by from the writing prompt.

Rachel Douglas said...

your pictures alone made me stay and read but then i was hooked!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful was the word that came to my mind too. My growth group continues to pray with me for you all - we thank God for your honesty in sharing your lives, we pray that Christ will continue to equip you for all He has planned for you all, strengthen you and provide for you all and continue to give you joy, hope and peace in this 'broken',messy world. Ruth

Ellen Stumbo said...

Your posts are always beautiful! Yes, I can relate to this. I have a person that is my defining moment, and a diagnosis of Down syndrome that changed me forever.