Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thankfulness - Day 13 - Thank U NICU Day

Did you know that today is Thank U Nicu Day???

I am so thankful for the RPA Newborn Care Nursery.

I am thankful for the doctors and nurses who took such good care of our tiny babies during their stay there.

I am thankful for the special nurses who also went out of their way to look after us as parents.

I am thankful for my high risk obstetrician who limped my pregnancy along for as long as possible but then made the decision to get the girls out while there was still a chance for them to survive.

I am thankful for everyone - from the most senior doctor right down to the lowliest cleaner - my girls would not be alive without all of the hard work and dedication of all the staff there.

Mostly I am thankful to the NICU for the life altering change in perspective that came from watching my girls fight for their lives.  Don't get me wrong - it's not something I'd recommend - but watching a tiny 500gm baby fight for their life is both terrifying and awe inspiring.  The NICU provided a clarifying moment in my life - a moment where it was so clear that God is the one who is in control - not me.  There was nothing I could humanly do to add even a minute to my girls lives - although if it were possible I would have done anything to accomplish that!  All I could do was pray.  It wasn't even praying really - more like begging.  Please God just let me keep them.  I am beyond thankful that He did.

There is a verse in the bible that I like to take totally out of context and apply to Ashlea and I.  In the original verion Paul is talking about his friend who was sick and nearly died - but I like to substitute mine and Ashlea's names so that it reads like this:

Indeed she was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on her, and not on her only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow.  (Phil 2:27)

I know that the original writer did not have Ashlea and I in mind when he wrote but that verse sums up how I feel about our NICU journey.  Ashlea was ill.  She almost died.  But God had mercy on her - and not only on her, but also on ME - to spare me sorrow upon sorrow.

For that I am thankful beyond words.

Here is a video of little Ashlea's NICU Journey:



Gonna sneak this in for Wordless  Wednesday - even though it's neither wordless or Wednesday - sorry Trish!

13 comments:

Anna said...

I did not know it was Thank U NICU day. I can't even imagine what it was like for you watching your tiny babies. Thank you NICU!

Heda said...

1. That my suitcase is almost packed for yet another work trip. So much easier to get it done the night before rather than throwing everything in on the way out the door at the crack of dawn to catch a 7:00 am flight.
2. For my car - 12 years old but still going fine. It will take me to the long term car park at the airport tomorrow morning with far less stress than a catching a cab. And it will be waiting there for me when I get home late on Thursday night.
3. For a good productive day at work.

Felicity said...

I did indeed!! We had a lovely morning tea provided by some of our old Mum's who brought in their amazing prems, including 23wk Zoe, to show us. They are all a part of Miracle Babies and journeys similar to yours. Xx

Jill said...

My babies were in the NICU for 10 weeks. Except for my darling daughter who did not survive. God did not have mercy on her, or us, and we are still feeling the pain.

But at the same time, our others are healthy, and we are happy and God is good, and life is to be lived, so on we go......

Alison said...

Anna - it is definitely another world in the NICU.

Heda - glad your car is still going. The one we bought at the same time you bought yours was written off long ago!

Felicity - I thought of you at work today!

Jill - so sorry that your precious daughter didn't survive. The NICU can be an incredibly heartbreaking place Xx

Danya Banya said...

Goodness tiny little hands!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I remember watching your story and following on EB - bless the NICU indeed.
Very precious post.

Alicia said...

So tiny and precious, very moving video.

Yvette Bowyer said...

Thank U NICU day!!

Mummy Manifesto said...

Lovely post for NICU Remberance day x

Lifeasmummymax said...

Lovely post and beautiful clip. We only had to go up to the nicu with the last 2 for The effects of my gestational diabetes. I sat there feeding my babes looking at the wonderful job everyone around me was doing. Thank you nicu!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Thankyou nicu fromm the bottom of my own heart too. So glad your girls graduated from nicu those many years ago xxx

Tamara said...

Oh I did not know either. My son spent weeks in PICU as a 3 year old. You story really catches my breath.