Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thankfulness - Day 17 - World Prematurity Day

Today is World Prematurity Day.

Did you know that:

- 15 million babies are born too soon every year;

- 1 million die due to complications of prematurity;

- over 90% of extremely preterm babies (born less than 28 weeks) born in wealthy countries survive whereas over 90% of extremely preterm babies born in poorer countries die within the first few days of life.

Today I am thankful for:

- my amazing premature babies;

- the fact that I live in Australia and have access to such good quality health care - my girls would not be alive without it;

- Medicare (our universal healthcare system) - which has paid for all of my girls health care - from their early birth through to Ashlea's kidney transplant (can you imagine what the tally would be by now???);

- a pyjama day;

- followed by a lamb roast for dinner;

- the first cherries of the season;

- a perfect Christmas gift found for Ashlea (Talking Tom is now a toy as well as an app - who knew?);

- another little ex-prem getting so close to her goal of independent walking;

- a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.


I tried to get a cute picture of my ex-prems holding a photo of themselves as babies...


You can imagine how that turned out can't you...




10 comments:

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

So awesome that you're finding so much to list that you're Thankful for.

Really enjoying these posts.

Think we're going to need to hear more about the huge weight off your shoulders tho...

Details please! ;-)

Susan x

Alison said...

Don't worry Susan - tomorrow's thank you list will be completely devoted to it!!

In the meantime I think I just found a nit in my hair so I am off to comb my hair out....hopefully I won't find anything - I would struggle to be thankful for that!

Melissa said...

Gorgeous girls!! I love you both x

Heda said...

Brilliant series of photos. Made me laugh out loud. I love that Audrey was doing her best to play the part and then crumpled into a laughing heap when Ashlea simply wouldn't. I love that Ashlea was Ashlea. That little one will make sure we all live in the moment.
My thankfuls for today are:
1. The little wild grey tabby slept inside last night. I had to get up at 4:30 to let him out but other than that he was a very well behaved house guest.
2. It's day 1 of a two week holiday and I had a lovely day.
3. Mum is recovering so well from her carpal tunnel op that she will be well enough for us to go away tomorrow. We've rented a cottage in Katoomba for 5 nights.

bioniclissa said...

http://bioniclissa.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/world-prematurity-day.html my version :)

Missy said...

Hahahaha...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these photos of Ashlea and Audrey!

They are gorgeous.

I am thankful for the survival of our premature babies and that because of that...I met you!

I am also looking forward to hearing about the weight of your shoulders!

xxx

T said...

Gorgeous photos - haha your girls are such character!!

I've been following your blog for a while and love your posts - I'm an SEN teacher.

I training in CE and have an assignment on how physical disabilities impact and child's and their families everyday life. I just wondered what your take on it was? I want to show a real picture :)

T xx

Fiona said...

LOVE it.
If I was you, I would so use that bottom photo in my Christmas card....
You beautiful kids are priceless (and very funny).

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Love the photos! I too love how Audrey is the angel in the last pic! Typical siblings. Yes indeed I look forward to hearing about the weight being lifted! Xxxx

The Trousdell Five said...

You take the greatest photos of your girls!! And I love that Talking Tom is a toy! My kids LOVE talking Ben!!